what would you do to improve the NHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you worked for them and were able to put ideas forward, what would you suggest that the NHS work on?

what needs more attention payed to it, and what do you think is fine as it is?

aoeu

Psychiatry needs work. People on this forum are seeing NURSES over bipolar disorder concerns (and being refused a diagnosis of bipolar disorder because their moods are too unstable.)

In Canada, a general practitioner (MD) won't look at you if bipolar is suspected, they'll admit they don't know enough about it and refer you to a psychiatrist.

ARGIOENHIOEUFISUNHINTSHI

(Though admittedly psychiatry in general is retarded with regards to diagnosing bipolar, leading to this forum having a lot more members than it ought to)

chjones21

I haven't been to a hospital myself in years - not since I was about seven, I don't think but from visiting others (here and abroad) the difference I really notice between hospitals here and lets say in France or Switzerland is that they seem incredibly short-staffed.

I visited a friend in hospital in Switzerland recently, first off being a nurse has really high status in Switzerland and France, it is not for the first immigrant off the boat at all! Secondly, they never seem to work more than a normal seven hour day. Thirdly, there are more than enough staff that the nurses can give very good, attentive, personalised care to the patients they are in fact looking after.

In the UK it seems as if every nurse is working about 5,000 hours a week, they have no time for any patient because they are given twice the workload of their European counterparts, they are exhausted, often with bad English, low status,

The hospitals where this is not the case are the private/charitable ones like Great Ormond Street. But the NHS thinks that it gets the best out of people by squeezing them to death but I am sure it has been proven again and again and again and again in studies that productivity actually goes DOWN when staff are overworked and do overtime.

So it is not to me rocket science. Get highly qualified nurses and doctors, don't overload them - then hospitals will become more efficient by default. This crazy idea that if you only hire one doctor but force him to work sixteen hours in the place of getting two doctors ie what a saving! No, it is NOT a saving --- and it is not saving lives either. You'll find that his actual productivity levels and ability to see patients will probably equal less than someone on a six hour day! So those extra ten hours don't help anyone.

Get rid of the middle managers, the bureaucrats pushing spurious rules and regulations just to protect their own back or enhance their career prospects and with no broad vision or sense of care and bring in: more doctors and nurses and a system that works (I don't know what that entails exactly but we could easily copy the system from Switzerland or France or probably even Germany .... that's not the financial system - ie how it is afforded - but the RUNNING of the hospital system)!

Kaos General

Psychiatry needs work. People on this forum are seeing NURSES over bipolar disorder concerns (and being refused a diagnosis of bipolar disorder because their moods are too unstable.)

In Canada, a general practitioner (MD) won't look at you if bipolar is suspected, they'll admit they don't know enough about it and refer you to a psychiatrist.

ARGIOENHIOEUFISUNHINTSHI

(Though admittedly psychiatry in general is retarded with regards to diagnosing bipolar, leading to this forum having a lot more members than it ought to)
No its because people see a psychiatrist and a nurse and TELL them what they have wrong with them because of what people have told them or what they have read online. Then they go in a week later and tell them they have something else wrong with them. Psychiatrists generally tend to ignore people in the UK who tell them what they have wrong with them. Theirs being informed and then theirs being a hypochondriac and because of the compensation culture in the UK then they have to tread a very fine line.

I personally would sack every single manager of the PCT because they are useless and do absoloutely bog all but still manage to claim a £250,000+ salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00