What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarnTired

Antiquitie's Friend
I've been working at a temp job for two weeks for crummy pay. It looks like I could work there permanently for crummy pay ($9.00 an hour - which I can not live on). There doesn't seem to be any chance of negotiating them up, I've already tried.

When I'm working there, it is extremely difficult to look for better work: I have cell phone and no access to any other phone except a payphone during lunch (and when you call companies at lunch, guess where the people you want to are) and there is no way for me to get a message from prospects until I get home at 5:30. I can send resumes in the evening, but getting back to the prospects in a timely manner is impossible. So taking a job for a wage that I can not live and makes it between difficult and impossible is a bad idea.

On the other hand, $9.00 an hour is better than zero an hour and I have absolutely no gaurentee that I can get another job quickly, and I need to keep making money now because I am skint and in trouble.

What would you do?

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
shit Darn what a predicament:blink: Trouble is I can't think of one good idea round it :duh:
Could you get a pay as you go cell phone, just while your job hunting?
And what about job agencies..get them to look for u and then communicate with you by email.
Hope u get it sorted hun.

ps: that dunce cap makes me look like I joined the KKK :laugh:

Axiom

Account Closed
That sucks mate.

Maybe you cou;ld get a cheap cell p;hone and get a Pay as you Talk service, and just pay for the answering service. The cell and activation costs might be between $75-125 but it's wort;h it to save for if you can. Off of that, answering service is usua;l;ly $5-10 per mont;h,

This might seem 'low' but it'd help if you ditched that type of thinking and replaced it with an optimistic form of thin;king. I'd suggest graveyard work. Warehouses, gas stations ect. Reason being, it's dead simple, and it pays $8-12 per hour. ($8-9 for gas station, $10+ for warehouse wor;k). The simple nature of it is on;ly desireab;le so you can gain a footing and start saving up and takeing steps forward(Away from these types of jobs to a job you love and can be proud of)

If you had a graveyard shift, you'd get off at around 7am, leaving you with pleanty of Time to search for jobs and drop of resumes. (and usually at gas stations, you'd get access to the newspaper for free so you can check the job section(s))

From there you could get training in simple things such as Fork lift training(takes one weekend), Security training(take one full wee;k generally), complete your drivers license(s) and apply to drive trucks and transfer goods.. there's a large number of options.

Basically those jobs help you have a more secure job, and you can save up for schoo;l from there, and start getting training in jobs that truly suit you and make you feel happy.

From your stance, maybe you could get a low line credit card so you can get a cheap cell and pay as you ta;lk service, then on your lunch breaks nip down to a store that you can fax from and send resumes to buisnesses.

What type of jobs are you looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarnTired

Antiquitie's Friend
Actually, the decision was taken out of my hands on Friday morning; they'd hired someone to take my job the previous day. I wasn't too upset since I didn't want the job anyway and I get two more days this week to work. I'm calling all of my agencies and sending out resumes today.

By the way, I've been an editor in the entertainment industry, but recently I've been doing office work to pay the bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00