What would your counsellor say?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Nathan :), Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan :)

Nathan :) Banned Member

I am suicidal, what would my college counsellor say and do? I am 17 and in the uk so its a further education college.I know i should tell him but i daren't because i don't know what will happen,i can't have my parents knowing.:unsure:

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and welcome...I think the most important factor here is that you get the care you need...what someone would say or do matters much less than your well-being...find someone you trust, and start by saying something like, "I am not doing well at all" and take it from there...get the help you deserve and worry more about taking care of you...welcome again and so glad you found us...keep us posted about how you are doing...J

3. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

My counsellor in college DID tell my dad... not sure he should have done- but that was because I actually attempted suicide. If you tell him you're feeling that you WANT to it may be different. It all depends on what the law says- whether because you're not an adult yet they might be required to inform your parents/legal guardians.

I think perhaps calling someone like the samaritans who are totally confidential might be a good thing? *hugs* keep going, sweetie.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think like Sadeyes said the most important thing here is you and get YOU help.
    If you talk to a coucillor and just ask them to helpl you get some therapy and maybe some meds to keep the depression away. this is a start okay. The councillor will i think work with you so you can start feeling better. Please you are so worth the effort and your parents even if they did know would only want to get you all the support you need. I being a parent have help my child get the help she needed. Get help now so you can start feeling like you again okay don't worry so much who knows or not just look at the big picture here and that is getting you well. Councillor if you ask will work with you and if they see you are trying to get help i am sure they will honor your request.

5. helpathand

helpathand Guest

hello Natalie
    I am 40 I have not heard of a counsellor telling parents

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie,

Generally, counsellors are subject to a confidentiality clause, and your counsellor should have told you how restrictive his/hers is with regards to what you tell them. In many cases, it's up to the individual counsellor who and how much they tell. With mine (a university counsellor), he can only disclose information (to doctors, etc) if there is a risk of harm to the client or other people, or if requested by the police. However, he has often dealt with my suicidal urges and hasn't broken our confidentiality.

However, a 17 year old friend of mine recently told her school counsellor that she had attempted suicide and was suicidal, and he told a teacher, who called her father. We're not sure if he was allowed to do this, but the damage has already been done.

Although I completely understand why you don't want your parents to know, as others have said, your welfare is more important, and if I had a child I would want to know if they felt this way. But I know that if my parents had found out I was suicidal from the age of twelve, it would have made things much worse for me and I probably wouldn't have been able to carry on at all. I think that's why my counsellor hasn't spoken to my doctor, because I can barely cope with seeing him, and meds are out of the question, so it would only cause me more anxiety.

I think the best thing to do is to find out where your counsellor's responsibilities lie with regards to confidentiality, and then if you do tell, also explain why you don't want your parents or anyone informed. If they are a good counsellor, this will be taken into consideration.

Mim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.