What you do to stop panick attack?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Oak, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Meds dont help and i tried to distract myself to no use. I tried the rubber band and its not helping either. TIPS ????????????????

2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Granny, try deep breathing. Focus your mind on each individual breath as you breathe in and then breathe out. Allow the breathing to take it's natural course but try and gradually slow it down until it becomes more restful. I know this has worked for me. I have to go out but hope to talk later. I know this is a hard time for you but I will be hear if you need me. Good luck. Love and hugs my friend.

3. Oak

Simon i've tried this but as soon as one stops one start right behind. Its my fourth crisis since i am up. I dont know how many meds i can take without harming myself but at this rytm i'll go out of my mind :cry:

Darn shrink office wont be open till 4 pm grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Breath into a paper bag. Not sure why but it works. Iv done it..my doctor recommended it. :hug:

5. Oak

thanks daisy, i'll try that, at this point nothing to loose if not my mind
    granny xox

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Granny,
    Try listening to some soft music and sit down close your eyes and just listen and try and picture yourself somewhere beautiful and quiet. Then while you are doing that try to control your breathing. Those are some coping skills I use when I panic.~Joseph~

7. Oak

Since I am still panicky I will surely try all of your advice dear. Some nice place to be? With my angels where no pain and no hardship exist. I'll make a trip in the past and listen to music. :hug: thank you

Granny xox

8. thelaststraw

thelaststraw Active Member

When you can, get Hope and Help For Your Nerves by Claire Weeks. Along with depression I have panic disorder (that manifested first when I was 18). Reading that book whilst having the attack is very comforting. She explains so much of what is felt, and why it is okay. REALLY helps.

I hope you feel better soon :hug:

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

One technique I heard is to try to make it as bad as it can get, so you feel like you are in control of it.

10. ScarsandHopes

ScarsandHopes Well-Known Member

That's what I used to do. And it did help... But, it got to a point where I was flipping out and smashing my head / punching things. It works if you know that you 'can' be in control. Or, if you're tied down =/

Other things that help are tensing your body. Much like flexing every bone in your body until it hurts, then releasing. Doing this a few times makes mine go away. Just a tip :) :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.