What you really think of forums

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by WhyMeWhy, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

All themes aside I believe forums are a gathering place for people to meet & greet & learn... like a school. Just like life you can make freinds or break-up freindships or become "more than just freinds" :wink: .......

Some will say having a life on the Net is not a "real" life. Give me a break it's a part of "real " life 'cause there is interaction everywhere w/ real people! You think you're talking to programmed robots?

Adding the Theme of the forum to the story makes all the difference. Of course the theme is going to attract certain people who have something in common or are "like-minded"(for lack of a better phrase).....

But even amoung like-minded people I see differences. Some differences vary to the extreme and people can actually become the opposite of buddies(enemies).. that's what I don't get!

"We hope you go die" --- a quote from a forum where people who are into similar types of music convene. I saw this & can only wonder why....

'Cause forums are tricky(for lack of a better word) to say the least. People have even been known to gang up on someone to make them look bad! I don't get it...... I was taught never to take things too seriously on the net. But people do..... so maybe that saying doesen't apply specifically to forums. The Net has all kinds of other purposes.

So in summary forums are great to me..... but that's just me. I see others having hard times or even being hurt at certain forums(flame wars / trolling occurs most every forum).
    I had a freind who took nothing seriously and went to a racing forum by the name xanax.... he knew more about cars & was able to communicate w/ them but they judged him by the SN & he was banned(eventually).... I don't know what he told them but it was all a big joke to him(he was just copying me).

Is it all just one big joke?

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I like forums. Usually. Some forums are nasty places where, if they're moderated at all, the mods are just as nasty as the bullies. This one is well moderated by kind, caring people and things don't tend to get really out of hand here.

This is the kind of place that needs moderation and constant observation. People here are sensitive and there's a broader range of ages here than there are on some forums.

I've been on some forums that really weren't healthy places for me to be. Just as you'll run into some major jerks offline, you'll find them online too on occasion. I've found that if I find myself thinking to myself "what a jerk that guy is!" when I'm not even online, it's time for me to get away from whatever forum that person or persons is on.

There's nothing wrong with having an online life but it's best never to take it too seriously. After all, you're probably never going to meet 97% of the people you interact with online in person. Right?

3. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm in that situation right now (on a different forum).

I've learned a few things from forums, gotten some cool music off a couple, been entertained now and then. Good way to kill a half-hour when you're bored. They are not, however, a good way to invest lots of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.