What's a failed suicide attempt?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Blackness, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I don't want to sound dumb, but I've been seeing it alot in here.
    Does it mean the person really hurt them self in the process or someone stopped them?
    Please get me know.

2. its when someone hurts themself with the intent of it ending their life..sometimes they get seriously hurt, othertimes, physically they are fine. i think.. oh, and you dont sound dumb :) x

3. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

a failed attempt is when a person tries to commit suicide and unsuccessfully does so. I hope that helped and you aren't dumb

:hug:

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this.

And don't feel dumb, it is FAR better to ask about something you don't understand.

5. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

Maybe a brief not so very descriptive example would help as well.

A year or so ago I went to my sisters with a plan to commit suicide.
    The first part of my plan didn't go well, as I ended up getting drunk with my sister and passing out. So, my plan failed...it was a failed suicide attempt (thanks to my sister).

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Its someone hurting them self intentionally with the intention of ending their live but unsucessfully does so.

Hope this helps :)

7. My example: When I was thirteen I had a boyfriend I was totally in love with (or thought I was). Well, he broke up with me and I was devastated. A few weeks later he took me back. Then five days later he broke up with me again. I was so heartbroken I didn't feel the need to live anymore so while I was crying on the couch with my friend, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I jumped up, ran to the kitchen, got a sharp kitchen knife. I was three and a half inches from plunging it in myself when my friend ran in after me and knocked it out of my hands. That, my good friend, is a failed suicide attempt.

Another example would be if someone tried to throw themselves out of a vehicle and all they really did was break their arm or something. That would suck.:mellow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.