Whats after death?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by jamie20m, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie20m

jamie20m Well-Known Member

Is curious...

2. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

3. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

nothing, i agree

4. Ronnoc3

Ronnoc3 Active Member

i would like to think nothing

5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

This is going to sound crazy (so prepare yourselves).

I have come to think of the human brain (and that of every other creature that has one) as a receiver of sorts. What it receives is consciousness. Meaning that we are all one on a fundamental level. What separates us is our decisions and each one of us is capable of recognizing our unique place in the world and the universe.

In other words, we are all connected. We don't really realize it but every once in a while a person will have a brief realization of it. Just a glimpse and then it's gone.

I think there are certain things that every single one of us just intrinsically knows without having to be taught. How else do you explain that unless all of us are tuned into something that gives us all the basic information?

By the way. I didn't just pull this out of my ass. Although it may seem that way. There is a reason I believe that the true nature of our existence is something more along the lines of what I've just said. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to post the exact reason here. Let's just call it a near death experience.

What does death hold for the individual? I think nothing. I think the individual dies with the body. I would like to know what others think of this theory. If you think I'm onto something, post your thoughts. If you think I'm crazy, feel free to post that too. :tongue:

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Interesting theory. I agree that consciousness is shared and it is possible to tune into the supreme consciousness. What happens after we die? Well we do know that our physical bodies will decompose and return to the elements. But what about our astral bodies or spirit? Where will that go? Earthbound spirits will linger around for a while, still thinking its still alive. Other spirits will go to the astral world or maybe reincarnate as someone else?

7. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

yeah, maybe...OR...???? honestly, how could anyone know?
    scientifically, it is ridiculous to think we do anything but feed the
    daisies. C'mon dave! don't kid a kidder :)

"ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know major tom's a junkie"

8. BaZz

BaZz Member

It is most probably me yelling at god.

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

That's just it. Nobody can know. At least not as far as we know. If it can't be measured or documented by any known means, it's just an idea. But it is odd how so many people come to some of the same conclusions.

If you look at some of the world's religions, what they're basically saying doesn't sound so different from what I said. Basically, there is something more to consciousness than we're aware of. There is something - some force. Something indescribable. Almost like a vast store of knowledge that some part of our mind is able to tap into under certain circumstances.

10. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

To think that when we die there is nothing is almost impossible. There has to be something or somewhere where we go. I mean there are billions of galaxies and to think that when we die there is nothing, I just can believe the logic that death is the end. My belief is that we may find ourselves in other galaxies or stars. The universe is very and i think when we die we go to some other part of the universe.

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It's a mistake to think that just because something is hard to fathom that it doesn't happen. There are a lot of things we have trouble getting our minds around. It seems to defy logic that a person's mind can simply cease to exist in the blink of an eye but what if it does?

Death is scary not because of the possibility that there may be some remote possibility of an afterlife. But because we just don't know. It could be the end or it could be something completely unexpected. We don't know. We can't even really guess all of the possibilities. We can try but they are only guesses. All the evidence seems to point to death being final in terms of an individual.

12. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have very little hope of an individual surviving the death of their body. I saw Stephen Hawking asked the question of life after death and his quote was, "The afterlife is a fairy tale for people who are afraid of the dark". I was hoping to hear the opposite from such a peerless thinker, it ruined my night.

I still hold on to hope because of tests with mediums who related facts about dead relatives of people they just met under strictly controlled testing conditions. The facts related by the mediums who were channeling the departed were accurate and consistent far beyond mere chance.

Maybe though they were on some for now inexplicable quantum level reading the minds of the other test subjects. I dunno...

13. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

It depends on if you want to rot in the ground or be cremated. But both are pretty much the same... you just die and then your dead.

14. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I beleive we come back in a different form.(could be human, animal, or object) Know one knows for sure. And know one will be able to let us know once they have died. It is a 50/50 chance that there is something after death...:chopper:...

15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I hope there is nothing after death...

16. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:nerves: That scares me

17. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

from random: >>There is something - some force. Something indescribable. Almost like
    a vast store of knowledge that some part of our mind is able to tap into under certain circumstances<<

again...maybe? nice thought anyway, particularly if one considers that at 35,
    someone like say...Mozart simply ceased to be. what a loss. how much better
    it would be that his 'spirit' or 'being' still exsisted in some sort of cosmic way.

admittedly, I should not poo poo the idea so much. I seem to keep picking
    on dave. not very nice, but not intentional either..

I'll try being a little more nuetral instead of being such a blowhard. because
    honestly, hell, I don't know either. I really don't. I'm a wonderer, an open minded
    (sort of) kind of person. none of it makes sense. including the big bang theory.
    what??? big bang?

I asked a question as a wee tyke and got admonished by Mr. poophead, my
    5th grade science teacher, cause he was a halfwit and couldn't answer the
    question...it was simple. here he is, BLATHERING on about the iniverse and so on.

I just asked.."so, what's on the other side of the universe, and whre did the
    universe come from and what was here before it invented itself?" I swear I did.

maybe I was brighter than given credit for, being a 5th grader. maybe not.
    I'm sure I heard it from a brother or a mom or an aunt or some other adult
    and was just passing it on. didn't seem like that hard of a question..

mr. poophead din't like it :)

I'll never forget that. IDIOT...called himself a teacher. nobody knows! that
    would have been an honest answer! "the universe ya say?" ...mutter mutter
    "who the fuck knows?" break for lunch!

18. touglytobeloved

Why do you think we have astral body? Any proof? Does ants have astral bodies too? Or trees?

19. touglytobeloved

We will all know one day... the day we die. Im curious and I wanna find out whats after death as sooner as possible.

20. touglytobeloved

Wow, you have discovered America (we say this when someone says something so obvious).
    I agree, when you die you're dead.:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.