Whats in a Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
"should" annoys the heck out of me - as in someone else telling me "you should do this to fix that problem"
If someone says, "You should order the steak, it's great. I had it the last time." I'm not bothered. "You should order the steak since you're so hungry," I am bothered.

"should" can almost always be replaced by "could" - "Maybe you could have the steak since you're so hungry" is a "suggestion" not a direct "I know what you need to do" order.

Witty_Sarcasm

๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿง๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ’–
SF Supporter
I am in total agreement hun. Ugly is to put someone down and make them feel like crap, fat is to reduce their confidence and self esteem. Ugh :/
Yep, I've been called that plenty of times, also been called stupid, crazy, and many other things. I just think any words that are used to put someone down should be banned, because they just suck.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Those words for sure are degrading, I cannot stand the word ''trollop''. My teacher called me a trollop in first year (around age 12-13)it was kind of funny at the time but looking back it was uncalled for and I should have reported it to the principal.

Witty_Sarcasm

๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿง๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ’–
SF Supporter
Those words for sure are degrading, I cannot stand the word ''trollop''. My teacher called me a trollop in first year (around age 12-13)it was kind of funny at the time but looking back it was uncalled for and I should have reported it to the principal.
That's pretty awful. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I don't like when teachers insult students. They did it to me a lot too. Words can really degrade people. I even started calling myself negative things because I started to believe them after being told them for so long. It can really corrode your self-esteem.

Rhydian

I can't think of any words that bother me anymore. I've learned that most people don't deserve the ability to hurt me. So... I guess the word "self-conscious" should be banned. Because it's pointless.

Kira

โ€ขโœฎโ€ข SF Gelfling โ€ขโœฎโ€ข
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Retard. Retarded. My son is autistic and his aunt has Down Syndrome. I'd blow a fuse if I heard someone say that in front of me!

crumbum

SF Supporter
'Guesstimate'. An estimate is already a guess.. are people this fucking stupid?

Every ebonics word.

Every english word that is abbreviated in pronunciation because people are just too friggin lazy to say the whole friggin word.

Cuckold.. it just sounds grosser and more abrasive than it needs to for the already upsetting situation of being cuckolded.

Kira

โ€ขโœฎโ€ข SF Gelfling โ€ขโœฎโ€ข
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
LOL now I feel bad for anyone who doesn't know that & is about to put that into Google....
Well, I'm guessing that it's a male thing and while I was wondering what it was I guess that either @crumbum or @avalanchefan95 can explain it to us!!!

Remember not to break any rules boys :) Ok, just joking 'cause I assume that the description would most likely break many rules :p

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
@Kira75 lol I first found "cuckold" in one of Shakespeare's plays.

"cuckold" is also used as a verb - "to be cuckolded" is to be made into a cuckold (or, I guess, a cuckoldress).

I think that someone who is cuckolded might well want to "absquatulate" (leave somewhere abruptly). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00