What's love?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sparrow91, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Common question maybe?
    I use to think I knew what it meant,what it was. Now I'm confused. I'm always confused.
    Can you guys say what it is or is it just a theme, an idea, that each individual comes up with their own feelings about it, individual definitions.
    Is it butterfly's in your stomach? Caring for others? I'd die for you love? Honestly what the hell. Sometimes I feel like I care but I don't love.
    Anyways opinions?
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

One of the best "descriptions/definitions" of love that I've heard comes from the Bible (but I think the definition applies to all societies, religions, cultures without necessarily being a "religious" definition).

1 Corinthians 13
    New International Version (NIV)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

My interpretation of that is that love supports, grows itself, and nurtures the loved one - without envy, fear, pain, and only with hope, gladness for the beloved, and with the sense that love is forever, and will endure.

For me, love is the highest respect we can have for someone else because it allows them their space to be who they are, it encourages them to be the best they could be, and it encompasses them even if times are hard, and it supports both people in good and bad times, and it survives.

Your point about butterflies in the stomach...that often happens we first meet someone we are attracted to. Sometimes the butterflies are there because the person is new to us and it's exciting. Sometimes after a while, the butterflies settle down. Sometimes, people have that butterfly sense forever. Real love is what happens when we really get to know the person and they us, whether the butterflies stay or not. Love draws the best out of us and our love draws the best out of our beloved. And sometimes, even if we're not doing well with each other, the love holds true and stays strong enough to be kind, supportive, helpful...loving. Love can also be the element that forgives one another for minor ups and downs.

Perhaps that sounds like gobbledygook. To me, real love is not a passing fancy or an infatuation with the person, it feels like it will be long-term and it is offered long-term with the aim of the people being each others' life and helpmates.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.