What's Normal?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by MadeOfGlass, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

Just wondering...but when it comes to parenting and stuff, how far is "too far"? I mean, everyone has a right to lose their cool every once in a while, but what are the normal parameters for parents to take stuff out on their kids?

Replies would be appreciated, just trying to figure stuff out and thought other people's opinions would help.

2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Hitting is not okay. And attacking someone emotionally isnt either. But if they are just yelling at you for doing something that goes against their rules, well I think thats okay. Still sucks tho. :hug:

3. MadeOfGlass

Nevermind. It doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

It matters and I hear you.

If you're feeling scared, unsafe, violated in any way and nothing is changing that is not normal.

5. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Sorry hun. :(

6. MadeOfGlass

:hug: Not your fault. I just decided not to bother anyone with it.

7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

You dont bother us. We love you and want to help you sweetie. But we cant help if you dont let us in a little right? :hug: Are your parents hurting you? :console:

8. MadeOfGlass

Yes. No. I don't know. I guess she is? She hasn't hurt me yet, I've been staying in my room all day, but I can still hear her yelling and throwing and hitting things through the walls. I've only come out when she wanted to yell at me too, or do chores. But I have to talk to her in a little bit about my grades, and I'm really really scared. She's going to be so mad, I don't want to talk to her. She usually doesn't get this scary either, I'm not really sure what happened. :nerves:

And I didn't want to post this because I think it seems stupid when there's so much worse that she could be doing. I should just suck it up and deal. But I can't, and I feel really pathetic for it.

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You're terrified for good reasons.

Does this happen a lot?

10. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Oh hunni. :console: If you dont feel safe around her do you think you could go to a friends house until she calms down?? :hug:

11. MadeOfGlass

I wish I could, but if I even asked, I know she would freak out. And say no.

It happens pretty much every weekend, although not this bad, and a couple of times during the week she gets mad too.

12. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Does she hit you? :hug:

13. MadeOfGlass

Not often. I try and just go along and calm her down. My brother is the one who gets up in her face and argues back. So he gets hurt more than me.

14. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

if you dont feel safe there i would encourage you to talk to a school counselor hun. :hug:

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do you have a therapist or counsellor you could confide in? What you're going through is not normal, acceptable or okay.

Your mother's preventing your own safety in your home, even if she's not hitting you- you do not feel safe around her.

Does she call you names?

16. MadeOfGlass

I should talk to someone about it, but theres a couple things that make it complicated and I can't. And yeah, she does call us names.

17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

If you want to share what makes talking difficult, I'm listening. It can be very complicated/difficult to let someone outside know what's going on :hug: You're going through so much alone. I empathise and have been in very similar situations myself.

18. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I love you sarah. I wish you would talk to someone with authority to do something. And keep posting. If you need to talk you know where to find me :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.