What's so great about life?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wistwand, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wistwand

wistwand Member

Why are we investing so much time and energy trying to keep people alive? My life, objectively isn't that bad compared to some people, but I've got a bunch of problems and I keep thinking about death as a way out. It just seems so pointless to try to solve all my problems when I know I'm going to die someday anyway of natural causes if nothing else. So why wait? I have 10+ years of treatment-resistant depression, I'm rarely ever happy, and I've already accomplished all the things I thought I should do. I'm just not sure what I have to look forward to by staying alive.

2. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I've been manic-depressive for ten years, never fully treated, always in partial remission. It's not easy, always thinking of suicide as the way out, yet rarely going so far as to make an attempt. Suicide's a draw, isn't it?

So what do you think has kept you alive this long?

3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

if you can get better, life can be worth living

very frustrating though to have gone so long without getting better

there's still some other stuff to try when meds don't work. you might want to check out the book listed in my sig

in any case, I hope that there is a way that you can feel better!

4. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

Whats so great about life?
    Without life there is nothing. Not even darkness.

There is love. I've had love and lost it. It kills me everyday... Has done for 4+ years now... But I know if I look and try i'll find it again.

Fun, being depressed makes us forget this. Makes us not bother. But its easy really but takes motivation which is in short supply.

Beauty. Sometimes I just look at the sky and It amazes me. I watch a bird and feel lucky. I smell a flower and feel alive. Sometimes even looking in the mirror and realising i'm real and have the potential to do anything, even change the world (then I go back to bed because i'm depressed)

There is something... But in our frame of mind its hard to see. Our mind tells us that nothing matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.