what's suicide and what's not?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by lost_child, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

That what I've been doing to myself will kill me, but that in my mind I've convienanced myself that its not suicide as its not instantly killing myself but to everybody else it will still be suicide... but couldn't the same be said for people who drink too much, who smoke, who inject, illegal drugs, even over eat, can't all those be seen as somebody killing themselves, would that be classed as suicide if they die from a smoking disease or because they heart couldn't cope with the strain from the weight they have gained?

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Well... way I see it attempting suicide is intentionally setting out to kill yourself. Anything that you hopes will end your life. As for smoking, doing drugs etc... I guess that's down to the individual themselves. Usually, people don't smoke, do drugs etc as a way to kill themselves, but I guess perhaps some do.

3. Milton

Milton Well-Known Member

I agree with resistance. The difference is intent. Smokers and so on don't set out to kill themselves, or even to hurt themselves. If you mean to hurt or kill yourself and end up dead, that makes it suicide.

4. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Interesting topic......

I agree that it all comes down to intent. Whether or not you are hoping or expecting what you are doing will kill you. I guess in a way though, it could be a form of passive suicide, if you continue to do something that you know will ultimately kill you someday, however make no attempt to stop at all.

Myself, i'm a very heavy smoker/drinker, and i'm totally indifferent to the health consequences at this point. I wouldn't consider my smoking and drinking as a way to kill myself though. Only reason I don't care about the health consequences is because I plan on ending my life soon anyways so I won't be around long enough for it to matter. If I wasn't suicidal though, I would certainly be worried about it and be making attempts to quit i'd imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.