Whats the best way to ask your parents to bring you to the emergency room?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by BenJ, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenJ

BenJ Active Member

I'm really not feeling good, i don't think i can make it through one more night all alone, i need help. I really don't know how to ask my parents to bring me to the hospital, any suggestions?

2. lancashirelass

lancashirelass Well-Known Member

sorry your feeling bad but you must build up the courage and tell your parents that you need to hospital i'm sure they will understand and help.

3. BenJ

BenJ Active Member

Well last week, my doctor told me if i ever had any "bad" thoughts to call her, so i called her, she called my dad and my dad yelled at me, so i already know they dont understand

4. MLKane

MLKane Well-Known Member

it depends on what your parents are like, but if in doubt the best thing to do is be blunt with them. if you're going to the emergency room then they're probably gonna find out anyway, at least they hear it from you. if they look like they're going to fob you off, just be firm, if you have scars show them, if not then just keep on being insistant, I mean even if they're not sure theres no harm in them going just in case right?

5. BenJ

BenJ Active Member

Has anyone else ever had experience going to the emergency room? because i would like o know whats going to happen before i go

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Yes, you go to the reception desk they will ask your name and what you have come in with you can write it down if you want to be discreet. You will wait in the waiting area for a little while and a nurse will triage you, tell her about your feelings, what's going through your mind. You will have a little wait where you will see a doctor, he/she will take a more detailed history. To get the help you want you have to be as honest as you possibly can. They will then refer you to a mental health liason team who will do an assessment of your mental health. They will then decide if you urgently need a psychiatrist and can refer you to other services such as therapy. I did this not long ago, it's not as scary as it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.