What's the best way to quit drinking?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by gag, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gag

gag Well-Known Member

I'm trying to quit it, I started drinking from time to time when I was 12, by the time I was 14 I started drinking every weekend, now I'm 17 and get drunk 5 or 6 times a week. Which is somewhat ridiculous since I still goto school.

In the last 3 weeks I've spent around $500 on liquor, and I don't have a job.

I also got arrested for drinking twice, and charged once.

I had to recently switch to drinking hard liquor too, I was on beer for a while but it started getting too hard to actually get drunk from it.
    I can drink a 12 case and barely be affected by it, on New Years I drank 16 beers and a quart of Tanqueray, and was still walking around no problem.

So for my New Years resolution I decided I'd quit drinking, it only lasted for 2 days before I got a 12 case of beer, then the next day I got a quart of vodka.

And whenever I drink all I want to do is drink more, I can't have any fun without getting booze in me, I don't like being in public without alcohol, and after a day without it I start getting really frustrated and annoyed with just about everyone.

I've started stealing to get booze, and I know I'm a dirtbag for doing it.
    The girl I was going with stopped going out with me because I drink all the time.

My family has a long line of alcoholics, and my parents are really ashamed of me for drinking the way I do.

I've gotten pretty sick of it too, I'm tired of waking up and wondering what stupid thing I did to make a fool of myself the night before. And I always end up making a fool of myself when I drink, my friends will drink to start feeling good, I'll drink to get completely shitty.

Another thing that bothers me about my drinking is, after I have enough in me I'll take any other drug I'm offered.

I know there are some other people on here who are in, or atleast were in the same boat I'm in, so what'd you do to get off alcohol?
    The only thing I can think of is to start smoking cigarettes to calm my nerves.
    It's going to be hard to quit though, if I stop drinking, my social life will be gone, and I won't know how to go out and have fun.

But I'm willing to do that anyways, even just limiting myself to drinking to drinking once a month or so would be good.

Any advice?

2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I'm also trying to quit drinking. I told my Pdoc and he gave me a scrip for lorazepam to ease the agitation and anxiety that I was having from alcohol withdrawal. THere are other drugs on the market that are prescribed for people wanting to stop drinking. Drugs that reduce the craving for alcohol. One Chinese herb is Kudzu. Supposedly that helps with the desire to drink. I hope you succeed in your goal. I want so badly to stop drinking but I need the tranquilizer to calm my nerves as alcohol withdrawal is not pleasant.

Good luck to both of us.:smile:

you may want to try AA. It's a very successful program for some people. Give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I'm with ya. I find that getting a really good book to get into helps. You can't read when you're blind drunk :), so it's something of a treat! Also, sleeping can be hard when you've been drinking a lot, so I take a sleeping pill (Simply Sleep is great and non-habit forming) and then I read until I fall asleep. Once you start doing it, you will actually feel better climbing into bed and remembering what it's like to actually FEEL the sheets, to drift off (sans passing out, etc.). It's kinda nice :)

4. gag

gag Well-Known Member

That does sounds pretty nice, might help my sleep patterns get a normal track too.

5. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

My new years resolution was never to drink again. That went right out the window after I got bored. I have to take narcotic painkillers not to drink, because drinking on them lessens their effect. The only way I know to quit anything is never to start-it's a bit late for that. So goood luck man. If I had a serious problem w/ drinkin I'd go tell a doctor. A good one will give you sedatives to help you. Only problem is, drinking makes sedatives stronger. I don't reccommend drinkin w/ any other drug. I used to drink & smoke weed together, but can no longer get weed. I've really got to quit drinking as well as most. In a perfect world it'd be opposite. The law would be legal weed/illegal booze. Damn my government!

6. gag

gag Well-Known Member

Legal weed and illegal booze would be the wise thing to go for.

Woodstock 1969, thousands and thousands of people high on marijuana, not a single death.

If they were drunk, I think there would be atleast a couple handfuls of fatalities.

If only eh?

7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Well, it depends on the individual. This question is so open-ended, kind of like "What's the best way to drive a car?", no offense intended. The obvious answer is 'safely'-a relative term, since depending upon the circumstances the answer could be very fast, or methodical planning of one's trip.
    If you're physically addicted to alcohol, don't try it alone with benzos' or some combo thereof. Nearly killed myself that way. Either set realistics goals to taper back and stop if you want, or go somewhere to dry out. A word of warning-ANYWHERE you go to dry out will foist AA upon you. Doesn't matter if it's the Betty Ford Clinic or your local drunk tank in town. Either accept their plan, or play along-after all, the goal is to dry out, not necessarily to shop for a new lifestyle. The hard-core addicts I met in rehab planned their relapses around their vacations/holidays. The newbies were more or less in shock. I LISTENED and learned a lot. If you can possibly avoid it, DON'T do rehab. Counselling, AA meetings, daytime programs, but actual rehab is a NIGHTMARE.
    That said. The best way to avoid addiction is to not abuse the drug to begin with, goes for everything from cigarettes, booze, crack, meth, heroin.
    After that, it's more or less a battle of your own will against the drug. Sure, there's loads of ex-addicts to cheer you along, but ultimately, the choice is yours. So, while it may not be much help, the best way to stop drinking is to do just that-stop drinking. Dry-out, moderate, or quit forever if you feel the demon rum will always rule your life. Not much help, worked for me.

The 12 steps are very much worth examining. They motivate-I didn't buy the store, but I did the steps; alone. It helps.

8. gag

gag Well-Known Member

6 days now and I haven't drank, I think I'm doing pretty good.

Incredibly stressed out though.

9. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

And so, how. Weed? Works. Just wondered, 6 days is 1 day short of physical withdrawal, supposedly. No booze leaves a lot of time on your hands. Jog? Write? Sleep? -Que? Stressed-indeed. Good luck, it's a strong drug.

10. PainEngulfsMe

PainEngulfsMe Active Member

i used drinking to quit pot. What a mistake, i then just decided to fuck drinking and go back to pot and pills lol. drinking blows, smoke grass.

11. gag

gag Well-Known Member

I get way too depressed when I smoke weed, besides I'm in the army and can't do drugs since we have random drug tests and whatnot.

12. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Its so easy to fall into the trap of drinking all the time, to settle your mind, numb it all out.

Keep it up mate :smile: 6 days turns into 2 weeks, into a month..so on and so on, and all of a sudden you dont think about it as much, you dont need it anymore.

13. crazy

crazy Well-Known Member

The only way that has worked for me to stop drinking is by going to AA and not take the first drink. It's pretty simple if I don't take the first drink I don't get drunk. I won't lie and say it's easy. It is difficult but simple. I'm here if you want to talk more about it.

14. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

it's been two days since I drank and I'm supposed toa be going in detox as soon as a bed is availablae. I hope it's soon. The agitation is awful and if I take any amore ativan I'll fall asleep. I hope they caall soon.:unsure::blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.