whats the deal with hospitals/residential treatment/inpatient..

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Therapy & meds just aren't cutting it right now, and I'm really scared I might do something drastic. Part of me is screaming just to do it already, I have a plan, my note is almost finished.. i'm ready to go. But part of me is trying to figure out how to hold on and get better.

I've been trying to do research on what the next level up from outpatient care is (right now I'm seeing a therapist twice a week, and a psychiatrist monthly who manages my meds). I'm trying to figure this out, but its all just so confusing

My main questions are - if you have done some sort of inpatient or residential or hospital treatment (i'm not sure i even understand the difference between these), how was it? helpful at all?

Also.. I know the cost situation is bad. Through the end of the year I'm covered under my dad's health insurance, and I'm not sure what it covers exactly.. does insurance help pay for things like this? Thankfully it has been covering my outpatient stuff.

And lastly.. how should I even go about this? Every time I see my therapist I mean to tell her things are getting worse, but I get nervous, adn the part of me that's all 'just kill yourself already' convinces me to lie to her.

ugh.. i guess those are my main questions. thanks guys.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I don't know the answers to your questions, but maybe you could print this out to take with you to your next therapy appointment? That way, if you lose the nerve to talk to her about it, you can hand her the paper. Sometimes it's easier that way ... less intimidating.

3. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Thanks Alison, that's a good idea.

I guess I'm just hesitant to let her know how bad things are before knowing exactly what I'd be getting myself into, you know?

Do you think this is a logical next step? or am I just being overdramatic about things? I don't know what else to do.. it seems drastic to me, but I feel like I'm getting worse quickly even with all these outpatient services :/

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Inpatient at a hospital is short term help some group meetings then they get you into community help day programs

residential help is the best it is long term help more group meetings therapies different types more people in the team to help you. these residential therapies run from 3mths up to 2 years they can help with addictions mental illness and both if dual help is needed.

take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.