Whats the difference between true love and true friendship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by touglytobeloved, Jun 24, 2008.

1. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between true love and true friendship?
  2. butterflies32

butterflies32 Well-Known Member

I am not really sure but I guess they can go hand in hand. I hav never had true love but true friendship I seem to be lucky to have.

My def of true friendship is...

Some one who cares enough about you to be on the end of the phone for all hours...for as long as you need them. They support you and stick by you no matter what you say or do to them. They are the most reliable people of your life who truely care about you because they want to. They do not take take take or give give give they do both. They give you unconditional love no matter what.

I think that true love is harder to explain. I think it is personal and different to each person who experiences it.

Take Care, hope you are ok.

3. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Love is a physical fealing, freandship is how people bound to each other
    there is good freanships and bad freanships but it is how people bound
    Usally it have nothing to do with fealings.

Love is more of a hormonalic condition
    guy cant fall in love with guy (i think "gay" is a mental issue)
    but a guy can be a good freand of another guy...
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I am not sure I know what true love is. At one time in my life I felt like I was truly in love several times. The only problem was the women I was with didn't feel the same way.
    As far as true friends go. I never had one so I can't say. I never learned how to bond with others because I was a service brat.Every two years we would move. And people wonder why I suffer from depression...:chopper:
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think true friendship is true love.
    I think the love that we feel in romantic relationships is farther from true love because it can end so easily. True love never ends I don't think. Those friends that you have for life, that's true love.
  6. hyperionxvii

hyperionxvii Member

In true love, you also find true friendship. If there is not true friendship in a love relationship, that love will not stand the test of time. Love has to be more than just physical attractions. But there can be true friendship without the romantic side going on. Love has both. Just my take.
  7. fromthatshow

I agree completely.
  8. Mordred

Mordred Member

Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. John 13:15
  9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

With each one, if it's 'true' you're going to have awful times and very good times- hopefully not any abusive times. With 'true love' it can be 'true friendship' but you experience a lot more- you experience a full spectrum of love and friendship rather than friendship alone. Underlying it I suppose is just commitment and gritting your teeth and just sticking it out...and distancing yourself and looking after yourself when needed.
  10. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd probably date my best friend if we were gay.
  11. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

The correct answer is 'sex'.
    What prize do I get?
  12. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

13. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

True Love is when you're willing to die for someone, even if they turn around one day and decide that they hate your guts. It's when you look at the person you love and, when it comes to intimacy, you think about expressing your feelings through physical affection first before sex. I believe that true love exists when you could go all your lives not being sexually intimate but you'd still want to be with them over anyone else. Seems incredibly unlikely, but then so is this rarity that is known as "true love". I'm pretty sure it only happens once or twice in a life time.

True friendship...now that I think about it it does really go hand in hand with true love to a lesser extent.

Take it from me, it's very possible. Love and sexuality can easily be separated if you truly love the person.
  14. fromthatshow

I like this a lot. If it is true love, it lasts. Like you say, even if they turn around and all of a sudden hate you, you continue on loving them. That's true.

And I agree with this in response to that other post. :smile:
  15. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know from experience. I fell head over heels in love with my best friend and right now we couldn't be more apart. At times, I was pretty sure he hated me, and I know I am never going to have these feelings of love returned, but I'm still always going to care for him and would still take a bullet for him.
  16. touglytobeloved

I agree, and thats how I feel at the moment.
  17. touglytobeloved

There is no prize. Its not the correct answer. Are you trying to imply that it has never happened sex between good friends? Love and friendship are far more important than sex. The point of the question is that there is no difference, and the true love can exist only if there is a true friendship. The only difference is that a true love can exist in a higher level than a true friendship. Otherwise, it is the same thing. Here is the proof: If you have a really good friend, what do you feel about him/her? I guess the correct answer will be LOVE.
  18. touglytobeloved

And when I told her that I love her, and she said that friendship and love are not going hand in hand, and that we cant be friends anymore, and we will never see each other again, I told her this:
    It doesnt matter if you say to me that you hate me, I will still love you, always.

But, still we are only friends today, thats all, and we will always be only friends.
  19. touglytobeloved

These are the answers i was expecting to read. I agree with both of you.
    Someone told me once: More than 80% of the humanity will never learn what true love is.
  20. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

Freindship = would risk getting shot for.

True love = would take a bullet for. in the head.