What's the first thought you get if ...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Withdrawn, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

... you see a sitting person rocking back and forth?
    ... you see a person flapping his/her hands almost all the time?
    ... you see a person who never talks?
    ... you see a person sitting down in corners?
    ... you see a person with empty staring eyes?

I'm so curious. :hug: Please tell me.

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

- I've done that.. I think sometimes I rock back and forth when I'm having bad anxiety. I would probably see if the person is okay..
    - I would think that maybe they just have a hard time staying still
    -Just would think they aren't a talkative person. I don't talk much either.
    -its probably just where they are comfortable.
    -I would think they are just deep in thought.

3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

-I would think they were troubled, had something on there mind.
    -I would think maybe they had some kind of mental problem.
    -I would think they was shy or something was worrying them. I don't really talk unless i'm prompted to.
    -I would think they was sad, scared.
    -I would think he/she was deep in thought, day dreaming, distracted.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

my first thought is sadness for that person and how that person needs some help maybe support

5. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

... you see a sitting person rocking back and forth?
    ... you see a person flapping his/her hands almost all the time?
    ... you see a person who never talks?
    ... you see a person sitting down in corners?
    ... you see a person with empty staring eyes?

Except the corners I do all that, and yes I think I have Asperger's Syndrome.

6. Withdrawn

Thank you. :laugh:
    I just wanted to see how random people think.
    Here are what they wrote to me (your answers are not here):

1. What do you think if you see a person rocking back and forth?
    - I think the person cannot sit still and they have to move themself. (Female 14 years old)
    - Nothing special. It happens now and then that someone rocks a litte back and forth. It's not very unusual. (Female 15 years old)
    - That the person is upset, and that there's something in the situation that bothers them. (Female 16 years old)
    - I would probably think the person had a disease. (Female 15 years old)
    - That something is wrong, obviously. A mentally ill person, I'd suppose. Or drunk. Depends on the face. (Female 19 years old)
    - My first thought when you asked me the question was that I recall a scene from a TV program where a boy is sitting down,
    rocking back and forth, while saying: "She knows, she knows, she knows". Haha, maybe a strange answer but that was my first thought. (Female 17 years old)
    - I would be irritated. (Female 13 years old)
    - The person must suffer greatly or have huge problems. (Female 14 years old)
    - It depends on whom it is. If it was a person having an illness, which you can see immediately (I guess), I would feel sorry for them.
    If people would stare at this person I would be very annoyed. Everybody should show respect, because you can't help it if you are ill.
    If the person was a child I would not give a damn about it, I suppose the child was playing then. If it was an adolescence or an adult, I would just find it silly. (Female 13 years old)
    - Poor him/her! I myself sit like that when I'm having anxiety. (Female 19 years old)
    - First I would look at the person with a strange gaze, and wonder if anything bad had happened or if the person was just ugly. Maybe CP impaired! I would still don't care. (Female 13 years old)
    - The circumstances decide. Nervousness, freak out - there are a lot of reasons. (Female 18 years old)
    - That the person must have a rough time of it. (Female 17 years old)
    - I would wonder if they needed to go to the toilet. (Female 15 years old)
    - I would wonder if they were drunk. (Female 16 years old)
    - "What's your problem?" (Female 19 years old)
    - That the person has a disorder or is mentally ill. (Female 21 years old)
    - "Weird". (Female 21 years old)
    - That the person will faint soon. (Female 14 years old)

2. What do you think if you see a person flapping their hands?
    - Perhaps they are joyful. (Female 14 years old)
    - Flapping their hands? It depends on the situation, you know. But I wouldn't find it strange or something.
    I have some friends who do spontanous things all the time, like throwing themselves towards a wall,
    so it wouldn't surprise me if a person started to flap their hands a little. (Female 15 years old)
    - I would think the person had a disease. (Female 15 years old)
    - That the person is stressed. (Female 19 years old)
    - I would wonder if the person could fly. (Female 17 years old)
    - Haha ... I would think the person was disturbed in his/her head. (Female 13 years old)
    - "Okay ... You can not fly!" (Female 14 years old)
    - That they either want something, or just wave to somebody. I don't know. (Female 13 years old)
    - "God, that's annoying!" (Female 17 years old)
    - That the person communicates through his/her hands. (Female 15 years old)
    - I would wonder what they were doing. (Female 16 years old)
    - "Okay? Problems?!" (Female 19 years old)
    - That the person looks commonly funny. (Female 21 years old)
    - "Strange". (Female 21 years old)
    - "Hmm ... Is there something wrong with them?" (Female 10 years old)
    - That the person is bored. (Female 14 years old)
    - I would find it peculiar. (Female 12 years old)
    - "What the hell is he/she doing?" and then I'd ask. (Male 15 years old)
    - I would want them to stop doing that. (Male 11 years old)

3. What do you think if you see a person who never talks?
    - That the person is very shy and that I should talk to them. (Female 14 years old)
    - If a person never talks, people look at them as shy, or something. At least I would consider the person as shy. (Female 15 years old)
    - That I would like to be that person, because I don't want to talk either. (Female 16 years old)
    - That the person has a poor self confidence and perhaps not a friend. (Female 19 years old)
    - I would think about whether the person was mute or just generally strange. (Female 17 years old)
    - I would wonder what's wrong with them. (Female 13 years old)
    - "Are you asleep?" (Female 14 years old)
    - I would think that the person was peculiar. If he/she was completely quiet, I would probably try to come in contact with him/her. (Female 13 years old)
    - I have a classmate like that. In the beginning, I felt sorry for her, but now I just think she's disgusting and retarded. (Female 19 years old)
    - I would find it a little scary. If they talked to the teacher, then it wouldn't be so scary, but if they don't even do that ... Oh my God! (Female 13 years old)
    - That would be very strange. (Female 17 years old)
    - It would be strange, but I would try to come in contact with the person through Facebook and ask: "How are you?". (Female 16 years old)
    - I would try to find a way to help him/her. (Female 19 years old)
    - That something is wrong. (Female 21 years old)

4. What do you think if you see a person sitting down in corners?
    - That the person is sad. (Female 14 years old)
    - That is pretty normal. I wouldn't think so much about it. (Female 15 years old)
    - I have no idea, because I have never experienced that before. (Female 16 years old)
    - That the person was scared. (Female 15 years old)
    - That the person is feeling pressed or horrified of the situation or the circumstances. (Female 19 years old)
    - I would find it depressing and ask the person how they were feeling. (Female 17 years old)
    - I'd wonder if the person was bullied. (Female 13 years old)
    - "It's way more comfortable to sit on a sofa or something, dude." (Female 14 years old)
    - I would wonder what was wrong with the person, and just let them sit there. (Female 13 years old)
    - Maybe the person wants to be alone. Maybe they're sad or hurt. Maybe they are just a little ugly. (Female 13 years old)
    - "Oh, he/she must be alone" and then I'd say hello to him/her. (Female 17 years old)
    - That the person is sad or something. (Female 15 years old)
    - Strange! I mean, people just don't sit down on the floor like that. (Female 16 years old)
    - "Sourpuss?" (Female 19 years old)
    - That they were tired. (Female 21 years old)
    - That the person is a little childish. (Female 21 years old)

5. What do you think if you see a person with empty staring eyes?
    - I would wonder what they were thinking about. (Female 14 years old)
    - What kind of staring eyes? A person can start staring if they are stuck in their thoughts, or if they are panicked. That's not unusual. (Female 15 years old)
    - "Wow, that person must be bored." If the person was staring at me, I would stare back. (Female 16 years old)
    - Creepy, really creepy. (Female 15 years old)
    - That the person is affected by something. But this is also something that can happen while daydreaming. (Female 19 years old)
    - I would find it a little scary, and even scarier if the person was staring at me. (Female 17 years old)
    - "Is that person dead? No, wait, it's a zombie!" (Female 14 years old)
    - Then I would think that something horrible had happened to the person. Or that they're just feeling bad. (Female 13 years old)
    - Scary! I would absolutely not like that. (Female 13 years old)
    - "Ugh, creepy person!" (Female 17 years old)
    - A scary figure who is lost in his/her mind. (Female 15 years old)
    - Stuck in their glance? (Female 16 years old)
    - "What's your problem?!" (Female 19 years old)
    - That the person is thinking of something. (Female 21 years old)
    - I would find the person frightening. (Female 21 years old)

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'd think the person was anxious/distressed to be around people and their reactions, completely understandable.

Do the responses you posted have an effect on you, Withdrawn? Especially the unhelpful ones?

8. Withdrawn

Sorry, but what do you mean?

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do the negative responses make you feel bad about yourself?

10. Withdrawn

Yeah, of course they do. And I even took away responses that were too hard for me to handle, like "People who do like that are not worth anything at all, they are dangerous and I would never let a person like that visit my home" and "I would bully those ugly retards".
    That reminds me on how terrible this world is...

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Those people do not matter and are worthless but I'm sorry you've had those reactions.

12. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I'm not all that observant when it comes to looking at the people around me as I am usually too panicked to bother looking up from my own feet or hands, but--

... person rocking back and fourth - they must really be feeling horrible; wish there was something I could do but to be approached by a stranger would make me feel worse if I were in their position.
    ... flapping hands? Hand talker. Dramatic. Lots of people 'talk' with their hands/arms/body, it's not really a bad thing- just a bit distracting.
    ... person who never talks? Shy. Shy- possibly mute or deaf, I guess... if I were to ask a question and get no response, I would probably feel awkward and wander away. Can't be helped though... some people just don't like to talk. I would just be embarrassed for not knowing they wouldn't acknowledge me.
    ... sitting down in a corner --- a small child (maybe in trouble for doing something bad?) a teenager (does not want to be involved in whatever is happening) an adult (a 'wallflower' or maybe someone with social anxiety disorder. I know how that feels~
    ... empty eyes. Tired, maybe? There's a difference between tired and stoned-- although people usually lump them together; I give people the benefit of the doubt because I am always tired and never stoned. Maybe lost in thought or just lost hope. And I know how that feels too.

I don't really see these actions as strange or unusual because I'd like to do those things most of the time, I think. -___-
    I tend not to really think a whole lot about the people around me and judging body language; as that can be misleading when we're trying not to act the way we feel on the inside- to fool whomever sees us.

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

... you see a sitting person rocking back and forth? they probably feel bad
    ... you see a person flapping his/her hands almost all the time? they are animated
    ... you see a person who never talks? they are like me...maybe antisocial or just keep to themselves
    ... you see a person sitting down in corners? they want to be left alone
    ... you see a person with empty staring eyes? they are sick of life

14. pooky

pooky Forum Buddy

you see a sitting person rocking back and forth? must be bored

... you see a person flapping his/her hands almost all the time? they are lively

... you see a person who never talks? they must be introvert

... you see a person sitting down in corners? they don't want attention ,they want to be left alone

... you see a person with empty staring eyes? they are either dreamy (procrastinating) or are very sad with life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.