What's the next technology that they're going to work on?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by ybt, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybt

ybt Guest

Personally, I'd rather see an end to world hunger and no wars before this, but what technology are they going to work on next? Is the space program ready for a big revitalisation?

2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Don't quite know if this answers the question.... but they are workin on motor vehicles that no longer run on oil/gas.

Cars that run on Water
    Cars that run on electricity-you plug them in or something at you get an amount of driving time before you must recharge them.

I do not know how far into the progression of these vehicles they are though.
    Solar-powered vehicles can't be far off, can they?

3. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Electric pant removers for very lazy people. Bill Gates already has a prototype.

4. I don't know how old you readers are, but I'm old enough to remember the "oil crisis" in the early 70's. Since then, technology has expanded and changed EXPONENTIALLY, in leaps and bounds so that many things have become obsolete in technology's wake -seemingly all good, but it's not. It's based on potential short-term profit alone and held in the hands of large corporations. It is a personal pet peeve of mine looking at the car companies for example who HAVE had the means to change since that "crisis" well over THIRTY years ago, but have maintained the status quo because they preferred the bucks they were reaping in all this time!! And we sheep have followed and not thought about our own actions.

As for alternate forms of energy, namely electricity, which we very much take for granted, has to be produced by a reliable source. This technology too has been available for near just as long a time, but has been ignored, again, for the sake of the almighty dollar. Coal, we like to believe, has become obsolete because of it's high contribution to pollution but is STILL being used - and just because WE use less of it now than we did, mining endeavours (also detrimental) have seen a new boon as we sell it to developing countries who will blindly follow in our former footsteps, and as their "needs" increase. Hydro source electricity has also been used widely, but in its wake has radically affected if not destroyed the environment around the sites with far-reaching repercussions, not only here, but elsewhere. In China, for instance, where they too seek sources to fulfill the ever-increasing demand, traditional, high-producing agricultural land has been flooded and dammed, and countless farmers and their families have been displaced with no choice - and no way to start over their lives.

...Nuclear power has been touted as a clean and safe source - however NO ONE has YET figured out what to do with, how to dispose of (cleanly and safely) the spent, highly radioactive rods used which have a 'half-life' of 10,000 years! (so do the reactors themselves, which have a finite production capacity) Burying them, as has been done, inevitably, SOME time down the road (!), will leech out, contaminating ground water below the surface of the earth, which NEVER stops (naturally) moving and shifting as it ALWAYS has, long before we populated the planet. Not to mention that if something goes wrong as in Chernyobl in Russia not all that many years ago (effects are STILL being felt by those affected), and all it takes in ONE accident like that - it does NOT remain in the region but inevitably spreads all over the planet.

...Wind farms seem a good alternative solution as is solar power - again both technologies have been available for a number of years - but thwarted by the powers-that-be all this time, only now trying to implement it as they can gain some profit from it, claiming it was formerly prohibitive in terms of cost as well as changing our complex infrastructure. We say we LIKE and embrace change - but are not willing to give anything up in terms of 'sacrificing' our beloved standards! See other post in Soap Box called Sustainable Living...

5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I may be one of the few when I say that it's always been my belief that technology will ultimately be mankind's downfall. When you think about it, we don't have the wisdom or the common sense to limit ourselves. We are selfish and always want instant gratification.

We will always have to invent more and more powerful weapons to keep those who would destroy us from inventing them first. This can only end badly. sooner or later, someone will invent the ultimate doomsday weapon. And sooner or later, the wrong technology will fall into the wrong hands. Or the good people will have no choice but to use the ultimate weapon in a MAD scenario.

6. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I love hearing about whats coming out on the market and I look forward to many of the things... here was a good article looking back over some interesting technologies from 07 http://www.tfot.info/articles/1009/2007-in-technology.html some awesome tech too that is adding to the sustainable future...
    I wonder how many active people in work does it take to make up for 10 lazy people who want a device to take off there pants for them? hmmm

7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Brain cloning & transplants of same. May take some time for general public to accept.:tongue:

8. Raven

Raven Guest

Cars that run on Water
    You’re not really just running your care off water, your running your car off hydrogen. You will never be able to pour water in your car and then go zooming off it does not work that way. You would have to have a battery or a solar panel on your car to provide electricity to able to electrolyze the water into hydrogen. If I had to carry or generate electricity then I might as well run a electric engine and forgo the other steps, much simpler and would require less energy to power the car.

Try to remember that hydrogen is nothing more then a “battery” it stores energy as we have to make it, it takes more energy to make the hydrogen then you get out of it by burning it.

And yes we should have been working at a lot of this more then thirty years ago, know we have politicians showing us how good this new fuel ethanol can be, using up a ton of our crop land to run vehicles on is so amazingly stupid I can’t believe they even thought of it.

So I think I am a little more worried and concerned then exited with the new technologies they are coming out with.

-Raven

9. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I dont know, I am pretty excited that they have produced a way to harness the energy of vibrations through the steps that we humans take, sure it may not be much at this point, but as we refine techniques and make more breakthroughs it becomes better and better.
    I dont fear technology, I fear what stupid people will do with it, because they are unpredictabe with their stupidity.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Technology, in and of itself, is neutral. A hammer laying on a table is just a hunk of wood and metal. Give it to a moron and there's no end to the chaos he can bring with it.

What I was saying is that people are not wise enough to only use technology for benevolent purposes. And even if most people are, there will always be those who won't. Pandora's box is already wide open. It's just that most people don't yet realize it. Inevitability.

11. ...Indeed! :sad:

12. Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrDepressed
    I dont fear technology, I fear what stupid people will do with it, because they are unpredictabe with their stupidity.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Technology, in and of itself, is neutral. A hammer laying on a table is just a hunk of wood and metal. Give it to a moron and there's no end to the chaos he can bring with it.

What I was saying is that people are not wise enough to only use technology for benevolent purposes. And even if most people are, there will always be those who won't. Pandora's box is already wide open. It's just that most people don't yet realize it. Inevitability.

...and ever has the world been thus (sigh).

13. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Yep hear you there, sometimes I have to beat around the bush to realize we are saying the same thing.. lol..

Found this article today and thought that was quite interesting, a car that runs on compressed air and can reach speeds of 70mph and go for 125 miles on about 3 euros... woot.. http://www.blacklistednews.com/view.asp?ID=5171

14. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

15. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

New forms of energy, that are nearly unlimited or literally unlimited. Technology will have a huge progressive boost from that point on. We will have super speed transportation. Computers making every thing easier for us. Androids that can do every thing humans can do, but more efficiently. Electronic prosthetics, that will give us increased strength, stamina, intelligence and longer lives. Space cities. Super effective medicines.

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

They're gonna start colonizing space. I personally would rather die than be shot into space, living on a barren planet and hoping that the existing oxygen harvested from Earth will last, eating whatever dehydrated crap we manage to scavenge. Fuck that. NASA can suck it. I'd rather live under the sea with plant and animal life that could actually help us humans. If the Earth AND the Sea are destroyed, well, I just hope I'm in the center of the blast.

If it's not obvious by this point, I despise NASA and everything they stand for. Basically, the government said, "Hey! Let's try to get the cheapest price for sending shit into space!" Here's an idea. Privatize that shit and actually send stuff into space that doesn't cost taxpayers billions of dollars but that actually...wait for it...works!

Sorry...space rant.

17. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Yeah nasa sucks they are way too secretive.

18. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Personally I am all for space programs, especially the science experiments conducted there.. If they offered to take civilians into space for a longterm project I would be the first to sign up, OMG I would love to have that chance... sure I would miss nature, but its not like I go out in nature anyway, if I want to appreciate nature I look at pictures, which I could do in space haha... I also agree that a massive company like NASA should hold and guard secrets, but I do agree with giving out information as they do do, but that goes for any company both small and large, there are secrets everywhere in all facets of life, so my question to those who would like to see companies/government agencies being utterly transparent is this, Would you make your entire life in all areas transparent to the public?

19. ybt

ybt Guest

Please lock this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.