What's the nicest compliment you've ever received?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by lordsalisbury, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lordsalisbury

lordsalisbury Well-Known Member

It could be anything, from anyone. What's the one compliment you've been given in your life that really saw into your heart, cut you to the quick, and made you catch your breath? Could be about your appearance, personality, temperament etc....? Anyone? I'm really interested. Thanks.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

The best compliment I ever had was not said in words.

I was working in a school for down syndrome kids, had worked there for a year when I was offered a new job working with abused and disturbed kids.

My class were told I was leaving, and on the friday that I was going, I was greeted with a pile of hand made cards, a cactus and a sea of crying faces.
    The kids held on to me all the way out of the building and I cried all the way home. :shy:

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I worked with a client who had severe behavioral issues, in fact he used to beat up his father quite significantly...after his session, I let him lay on a comforter in my office for hours because that way, I knew he was safe...two years after treating him, he was placed in a residential facility across the country..on our last day he said to me "you are the only good thing in my life'...I still cry thinking of the day he left, and I still miss him after 2 years

5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

^ that.
    and that i was a real lady

6. BruceWayneWannabe

BruceWayneWannabe Active Member

That I would make history one day. It really hurts knowing I won't.

7. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

That I was a god amongst insects. Since I was always treated with complete insignificance my whole life, this was literally the grandest compliment (and only compliment) that I've ever been graced with.

8. FUBARM

FUBARM Member

'If the world ended tomorrow, you would be the only person I would miss', told to me by my partner of 4yrs the week before she died of luekemia - she was 21, I was nearly 23, never got over her and stayed single.

9. lotte

lotte Well-Known Member

These are all so beautiful! *tears up* I'm not sure what the best compliement i ever got was but I've got quite a few nice letter's written to me by aquaintances that i thought were sweet. There was also a lady with a walker that i opened the door for and she so extremly grateful to me just for something small like that she said "You are so sweet! You'll get your reward in heaven, you will!" lol thought that was cute.

10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The nicest compliment you can ever receive is the one that you provide to yourself.

11. Ginger Cuesta

Ginger Cuesta Active Member

that I am generous :cocksure: This may sound corny, but I feel like I want to make this world a better place (even in small ways).

12. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

These all made me smile. I really can't think of any compliments I've gotten really. But these made me smile to know there are awesome people out there!

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't get compliments because I have no good traits or anything to be complimented on.

14. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

I was invited to a threesome, with her and her husband. < best compliment ever.

15. Crimson Tears

Crimson Tears Active Member

Ditto

All I seem to get is strangers staring at me all the time with hateful eyes for some reason that i still haven't been able to figure out.

16. Wysteria Blue

Wysteria Blue Well-Known Member

I often wonder if the compliments received from strangers are better than the ones we get from friends or family. I think when a stranger offers a compliment, they have no reason other than honesty to give the compliment and I trust them more. I don't get compliments often, as the negative comments about me are frequent and crushing. Words can heal, and words can do great harm.

In my case, the best compliment that I ever received was from someone very dear to me in the form of a nickname. He risked rejection as I do not take compliments well nor believe in them because I have so little respect for myself. But as the only one that I trust, and the only one that I feel knows me at all, I took his nickname to heart. I am very grateful for this one great gift of a moniker that he gave to me. I will never forget it or him.

17. INFERIOR LADY

INFERIOR LADY Active Member

Being called either smart, wise, or strong, especially by Men!:biggrin1: Even tough neither of them are really true like I WISH they were! :frown-new:

18. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

none - i don't handle compliments well because i don't think i deserve any - wife and i were given some kind of volunteer award complete with congressional certificates and a hosted dinner - i didn't go - wife picked up the documents and such but i haven't even looked at them

19. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

In highschool my best friend turned to me one day and with a completely straight face just said "you are so pretty". It weirded me out a little bit at the time but it always just stood out as one of my few good memories from school. Too bad she fell out with me, treat me like dirt and forgot about my existence.

20. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

"Thank you for being who you are."

For a moment, I almost believed in myself.....