What's the point in "proving people wrong" when it's only 1 or 2 people at a time?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Worthyless, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worthyless

Worthyless New Member

I'm not sure how people here feel about race issues but microaggressions and racism in general make me feel worthless. I get that not everyone is going to like me. That's true for for anybody. But being seen as dumb or incompetent or as a threat (or at least feeling that way) by a large majority of people is too much to bare for me. I feel like an outsider.

Whenever I ask for or look up anything inspirational, I always get the same thing about proving people wrong. But what's the point? Sure I may get one or two people to think twice about how they feel about black people but what about the millions of others?

There will never be any point where I have "proven" myself. I will always and forever be validated by just a select group of people. I have to prove myself again and again and again. Who else can say that about just being themselves? Not for performing a task at work or overcoming a physical or mental difficulty. But for just being yourself.

Sometimes I feel like suicide is the best option.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Re: What's the point in "proving people wrong" when it's only 1 or 2 people at a time

Yet you can look and see that many many people who are black have succeeded and have not been judged look at the president united states If you are true to yourself then people will see that and will accept you as you right.

3. snogo

snogo Well-Known Member

Re: What's the point in "proving people wrong" when it's only 1 or 2 people at a time

It will not be easy. For some people, it looks as if it is easier to meet people who are fixated on race and associated power issues. Even though one of my issues is hardly about race, my skin complexion always attract weird and sometimes unfriendly looks and body language from others. I've always been an outsider everywhere I go.

Other than the President of the United States, I think I can name Bill Cosby and Morgan Freeman too. It will take a lot of effort. But you are not alone. Keep posting.

4. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

NO! that's true for EVERYBODY.

5. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

I know this is a cliche, but the opinion of most people is worthless. Especially if their judgement of you is informed by the colour of your skin. To whom do you wish to prove yourself, if not a select group of people? Strangers passing you in the street? I'm a homosexual and don't give too much thought to what people think about gay people. Although my parents' first assumption when they found out that I was suicidal was that it was because I was 'tormented' about my sexuality, the fact is that I simply don't care. I'm never offended by homophobic humour or really even just plain homophobia. I know that a lot of people are sensitive about racism. It's hard to change that, but I think that for race relations to improve, those existing bruises need to heal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.