What's the point of excersize?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Idon'twant2live, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idon'twant2live

Idon'twant2live Active Member

I don't understand why people excersize. I mean why bother? The end is always death. Only diff is that people who are healthy live longer. I know some old people who are thin and they are very sick. Where other people who have enjoyed their lives to the fullest, ate what every they wanted, didn't care about weight gain, sat all the time, smoked drank until they died. They were very happy. They didn't live long, but I would rather be happy, then to spend my life excersizing and being healthy. Someone explain it to me. why excersize? When ur going to die anyway.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

haha I have always said the same thing. I don't feel like excersizing. Why make my body so healthy, I'm just going to die anyway. So what you live a little longer?

I agree I think we should do what we want, eat what we want.

The only thing is that exercize is not just about mainting weight. Sometimes it's not even about being healthy. It realeases some chemical in the brain I don't remember what it's called (endorphins?). Exercizing can be a major stress reliever. If you've got pent up anger or have a lot of energy you don't know what to do with.

But I rarely set aside time to exercize. The word just sounds really not fun anyway. If I feel like dancing I dance, or if I feel like taking a walk, I take a walk, but I don't get up and think about all the exercize I need to get today.
    I don't care what happens to my body.
  3. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

People exercise to get fit, be healthy, and to live longer.
  4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

It seems like you've only seen one part. I've seen elderly people who are fit and healthy and have totally enjoyed there life and people who are sick and ate what they wanted but are sad and vice versa. It really does come down to the individual.

Besides saying whats the point of exercise, is like saying whats the point of working, making friends or buying a house cuz your gonna die in the end.
    The point of everything is that you find it worth while in your life, you want to do that and that it's off interest to you.
  5. Idon'twant2live

I would rather die young, then to die old. Healthy people are only prolonging the inevitable
  6. I had to laugh too! (thanks for that :wink:)

It always reminds me of a comedian who one said, "I can't wait for all those healthy people to die...Isn't THAT gonna piss them OFF!!"

(really...to each their own... :smile:)
  7. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I can understand where you are coming from, no matter what you do, one way or another you are going to die, so why bother. I know this attitude too well.

Any way, exercise for me as someone said releases endorphins-stress reliever, it distracts me from self-harming and relieves the mind temporarily of the perpetual thoughts of depression by using all your physical energy so you don't have the energy to think too much.
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

generally, personally, it helps to get out and get some fresh air and get the blood circulating round my body. i know what it's like to just rot inside for ages and ages and it makes me feel suffocated. i just walk a lot, or go on my bike it's enough for me.
  9. fromthatshow

10. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

It makes me feel better both physically and emotionally. Also, it is a constructive way to kill time (in lieu of drug use, crying all day, etc.)
  11. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I think exercise is fun. :dunno: I love running 'n stuff. Just kind of running until you're ready to collapse is one of the best highs there is.
  12. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i exercise for emotional wellbeing. walking makes me feel better. it makes the depression go away for a while. it makes me want to cut less. after about 15 or 20 minutes the happy feeling kicks in (endorphins, maybe???)

i was willing to try anything to beat depression. walking is one of those things the nurse said to try and i'm glad i did. it works for me.
  13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I remember when I was in the hospital clients would walk circles around the whole floor. I joined them. It was something to do and to break the monotuny.
    As far as exercise goes it is zilch. I take a short walk in the morning to walk my dog. Thats it!!:chopper:!!
  14. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

I stay in relatively good shape … I seem to be a lot happier when I’m in shape, and it makes you feel good while your doing it, and after you’ve done it.
    When I’m sitting at home feeling like death, ill make myself get up, do a few pushups or skip or w/e, get myself in the mood, and work out.
    Quite evidently it isn’t fool proof, because I still want to die. But, at the same time it helps. It’s a hobby. Besides, it’s nice knowing that if anyone touches my friend(s) or girlfriend, I can kill them with my 11 years+ of training. Because in the end, they are the only reason I’m alive. (Well, really, only for one friend and my girlfriend, but nonetheless).

Case and point, it gives me something to do, and makes me happier.
  15. ooo

ooo Member

being fit helps you be a better competitor in basically every aspect of life

i dont exercise and i feel like shit every day
  16. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I like to exercise; it gives me a way to release energy, and I find that when I'm depressed it often helps the most. There were several times that I've gone for midnight runs just because I can't sleep.
  17. Idon'twant2live

That's one thing I've always wanted to do. Run, but cause I came from a smoking family, the chances of me ever running is next to nill. My mom smoked when she was prego with me, all through my childhood and I started when I was 13 fulltime, it's been in my system forever. If there is a heavon, maybe I can run there.
  18. fromthatshow

My thumbs get a lot of excercise on videogames. My fingers get exercise from typing.
  19. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

It feels good afterwards. And it feels good to look better than other people. It feels good to feel attractive. It feels good to take your clothes off and be in awe of what you see.

Exercise is just narcissism.
  20. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Dunno if I can say it any better than Henry Rollins (former lead singer for Black Flag, now poet and public speaker extraordinaire...)

The Iron - Henry Rollins

Though I agree with all of this, I, errm, am not exercising myself at this point in time. :unsure:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.