What's the point of therapy?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Downpour, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downpour

Downpour Well-Known Member

I'm currently seeing a therapist, but it all feels like a waste of time. I really don't know what the point is. I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. I'm suicidal, depressed, and have family conflicts, but I don't see how going to a therapist can help any of those things. But I feel like it's my only hope, like there's no other way to fix my dysfunction. So I guess the point is to get help, but I don't understand how it's supposed to help. What am I supposed to be doing in therapy? My problem is that I just don't have a lot to say. I don't know what to say. When I'm there, my mind is blank. I don't know what I'm supposed to talk about and I don't have anything in my mind to talk about. I suppose my question is how can therapy help and what should I be doing to get the most out of it?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Your therapist can and will take the lead in what is said hun to get most out of therapy you have to be honest and if you find it is hard to talk the write down what you are feeling and bring it to therapist Asking the question you asked here to your therapist is a start how can i get most out of these sessions sometimes it feels therapy is not going anywhere but we do not see the small changes that are happening but our therapist does I am glad you are trying hun hugs

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Stick with it and see where it goes.
    It maybe that this therapist is not right for you, but you will only know by giving it a good, honest go.
    I gave my first therapist 6 months and then he actually said he had been no use to me whatsoever, my second therapist was wonderful (if a little scary at times).

4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Horses for courses....
    Certain forms of therapy help some but not others
    Your health care needs to be tailored to your mental health. You may find CBT better than counselling for instance.
    Keep trying different things, also you could change your therapist to someone you can build rapport with, thats very important.

5. Druidblue

Druidblue Member

I can't offer any great suggestion other than pick for yourself what you want out of the therapy and steer the conversation that direction when possible. I wanted mostly to let you know you're not the only one who feels this way. After years of seeking therapy for my generalized anxiety disorder and depression, I finally have access to the best psychologist in my city's Community Mental Health clinic... but I end up talking the whole hour each time, and she hasn't once said anything that I was unaware of or that was a new angle to approach or new technique to try. After two years, I'm feeling frustrated by the interruption every two weeks (I've gradually pushed our visits to two weeks vs. one week).

The only thing I've done is stick with it, since I know it is fundamentally better to have the therapy than not- even if I don't see an obvious gain- and I've tried picking topics of concern to focus on... whatever is most bothering me that week (hopelessness, depression over aging, etc.) to discuss. I use it as an hour long rant session. Sometimes getting things off my chest is good enough- not to change anything, but to justify that hour and feel better not having bottled it up.

Best of luck in how you proceed, and best wishes for your health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.