whats the point

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by desdi, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desdi

desdi Banned Member

I say I feel suicidal a lot but I think its more on the lines of feeling depressed and hopeless and in pain.

I am a psychology student and from what I seen, people who are really suicidal don't tell anyone because they know if they do, then they will end up hospitalized and won't be able to carry out their plan.

So maybe we should change the name of this section to "struggling" of "severely depressed"?

Because the last time I was suicidal, I was thinking of how I was going to kill myself rather than going online and telling everyone.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

People who are suicidal the majority do reach out one last time before they attempt and some unfortunately do succeed
    They just feel so alone and in reaching out here perhaps they hope someone could help them but feel also in their hearts there is no hope Not all keep it a secret some tell because they don't want to die alone hun
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Most studies will say the exact opposite, that suicidal people often talk and discuss it and for long periods of time prior to attempting. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule but discussing suicidal thoughts should never be taken lightly and most definitely is not an indicator that they will not do it.

Unfortunately, there are more difficulties in getting treatment and help or even hospitalization when it is asked for and wanted than there are cases of it being involuntarily forced and a casual comment or discussion is not apt to get anybody hospitalized without a lot more to go with it. Once again , there are exceptions but they are very rare and I have not seen a credible report of being involuntarily hospitalized based on nothing but a comment about being depressed and thinking of suicide unless specific actions or plans were also included.

Feeling able to honestly discuss these feelings and what is causing them benefits a lot of people rather than having to keep it all to themselves.
  4. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

I would say the opposite. I don't know where u got that, but people who feel suicidal speak about it before they do the deed to someone they feel comfortable most. There will be a condition called Cry For Help(My psychiatrist said that) before they do it, and it's a condition when they feel deep despair and it's where he/she will take her life, but with some help, they usually able to stop themself. For myself, I have this personal experience, I did felt that "cry for help" condition, trying to reach out my brother and dad, but they weren't available, I screamed and crying out loud, and then I went thru it, luckily, I survived. You know, the fact that I'm here, is because I have some part of me that want to live, it's not like I have any regret I did that, but I'm thanksful I have survived that, I can feel happiness again, maybe one of the happiest moment in my life, though it's brief. Life is about up and down isnt it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.