What's the point?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by o-J0k3r-o, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o-J0k3r-o

o-J0k3r-o New Member

I'm beginning to feel like life has no purpose anymore, there is no reason for me to live on no reason to see tomorrow. Everything just seems to be so insignificant you go to middle school so you can go to a good high school you go to high school to go to a good college you go to a good college to get a good job you get a good job to live "happily"? and then you die like everyone dies in the end does it matter when you die? whats the difference in dieing now or in 20 years i really cant see a significant reason for waiting. life is like a train ride many people get on at different times and stay there for a while and we all try to enjoy the ride but in the end were all going to the same place so whats it matter if we get off of the ride earlier rather than later?

Oh and please don't try to respond with something about how your friends and family love you and want you to live so you should live because they want you to because its not their decision its not their life its mine, and i can't see them wanting me to stay if i want to go anything more than being selfish. If i want to go i have the right don't I?

P.S. I do not encourage any type of self harm or suicidal feelings please do not be encouraged by this to commit suicide, I only posted this to see if someone could give me some type of reason that would make me want to live on.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

well... i believe each of us has unique gifts to bring to the world. maybe there is a story, or great work of art in you? maybe a kind word for a friend when they most need it? maybe you will be part of a team that invents something cool? or makes a difference in somebody's life... those are the things that keep me going when i see no obvious reason to carry on.
  3. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I have to admit to having followed your train of thought. I look at my life and ask "what's the point?" I feel as though everyone in my life would move on with their own live, scarcely missing a beat.

I know, though, that there are holes in those thoughts. Isn't it John Donne who wrote, "No man is an island"? I know that even when we are completely blind to our place in the world, we are a part of something much greater. Each of us has a destiny, and each of us is part of a cosmic destiny.

We so easily lose sight of our reason for being. Each of us has a reason, slightly different from everyone else's reason.

What if a small part of me, a muscle somewhere in the intestinal system, decided it was bored with its work and took a few days off. PAIN!!! The vacation of that one small muscle exerts incredible pain, and if it's not treated, the whole body will die. I know, because I was very nearly dead from that one small intestinal muscle going to sleep. I've wished may times that I'd toughed it out and let it kill me. But I was brought back to life by a bunch of hospital staff.

If any one of us, insignificant though we feel we are, decides to begin the sleep of death, we will cause great pain to some other part of the "body", or the human race. Every one of us has a function, insignificant as it may seem. The challenge for all of us it to discover our function - to discover our destiny - to discover our place in this world.

I hope you can find a place to fit in.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Everyone has a hidden agenda. We were placed here for a reason, you may never know if you have completed it. Now I beleive that every one has more than one lifetime, to get it right. So I don't see what suicide is going to accomplish. You will just come back in another form and given the opputunity to accomplish the job at hand.
    I know it sounds crazy coming from me, because I am suicidal. The thing is I beleive I have already passed my objective and there is no going back. So I am ready to pass on to my next life. Heaven knows I have f---ed this one up.:chopper:
  5. mittens

mittens Active Member

your right.

there is no point.

so do somthing that makes you happy
  6. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

First things first.
    Go in to your room, shut the curtains, and watch 2001: A Space Odyssey, in silence.
    Why? Because it hits the spot.
    Then consider this:
    The conundrum of life after death was solved long long ago. It's no mystery. We are spirits descended into matter for a purpose. Forget the indoctrination of the system for a while... perhaps one reason to exist is to sample simplicity and interpret it by yourself. Watching a sunrise. Walking through a meadow. Feeding the birds. Enjoying a wholesome meal when you're hungry. Warming yourself by a fire on a freezing evening. Taking in the beauty of a star filled night sky. Human Consciousness really is a miracle, and that is worthy of appreciation.
  7. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mike for your insightful words.

perhaps one reason to exist is to sample simplicity and interpret it by yourself.

We try to complicate everything rather than to experience all that's around us in the Now.

8. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
  9. Mordred

Mordred Member

Point? No point. When you choose to live, you choose to die slowly.
  10. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I see your point, but I ask myself if and when does this stuff supposed to happend. Do you suppose to live in misery as I do and just keep hoping something good may happen. To me its just not worth it.
  11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i don't know when it will happen. i started photography at age 35, and believe it to be my true calling. i did many things before i became a photographer... it took a while, to be sure! in some ways... what's the rush? maybe your talent will find you?

as for the feeling of misery, no i don't believe you have to suffer that feeling forever. have you been diagnosed with depression or some other mental health problem? i ask because feeling hopeless and worthless are *symptoms* and if it's a mental health problem you are suffering i want to assure you that you can feel well again. it is possible to heal and feel very different than you do today.
  12. Freemind

Freemind Member

personally i dont believe in afterlife so my answer its far far more easy on mind
    dont complicate your life dont try to give it a supernaturel meaning just live day by day and try to be happy but even if you cant stuck at some point and have no hope of recovery think of this thought you are "feeling" miserable so you are feeling "something" if you are dead you "feel" noting an absolute noting and
    someting beats noting at all times ....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.