What's Wrong With Cutting?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by hopeless, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopeless

hopeless Well-Known Member

okay, lately i've been cutting more and more, but what's the big deal anyway?

as long as i don't cut deep and it keeps me from killing myself, then why does everyone get so bent out of shape about it.

my mother-in-law is threatening to call the sherriff to hall me off to the psych hospital if she sees that i've cut again.

i don't expect her to understand or anyone else for that matter that hasn't been there before. she probably won't ever understand how much better i feel when i cut.

2. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

I know exactly how you feel, and the sense of release you gain from cutting. but as you said some people dont understand and are scared about your welfare/safety.. Hve you tried telling her how cutting makes you feel? or hiding it??

im always around if ya need a shoulder or ear :hug:

3. jam1e

jam1e Guest

I have cut in the past and very deep sometimes, which nearly killed me! I always felt it was a form of release, and still do if i'm honest! But when things get better, and they will! It will leave you with scars! And to be honest, unless you're a medical person you do not know where is dangerous and where is not!

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

A little scratch isn't bad. But a bigger scratch feels better... then a bigger scratch... then bigger... Now you're wounding yourself, scarring yourself, and you've been using it as a lifeline.

Minor self harm leads to major self harm. Stop while you can...

5. QuadLazer

QuadLazer Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I do it, and I mean bad. And while I may sound like a hypocrite- it's better to stop now than tomorrow, you know?

Legally speaking, though, there's nothing illegal about self-harm. If it's not a direct attempt on your life, you can't be thrown in prison for it. Not saying that your mother, step-mother, whoever doesn't have the ability to phone the police and inform them, but the likeliness of you going to a hospital is a lot higher than for the officer, whoever it would be, to just take you downtown.

And, remember, you can't actually be taken in for it de facto. Not unless there's overwhelming evidence that YOU did it. If you have a reasonable excuse, which I can't give you for the simple fact that I don't know how bad it is, there's nothing that they can really do. Not saying your invincible- cutting will never lead to good, not in the long run, but at the time, if you use your head, they really can't touch you for it. This applies more if you're an adult, of course. Remember, and not just for this situation, but if you're under 18 and live in the USA- you have no rights. Don't let other people lie to you, either. You are at the will those in power around you until you are a legal adult.

6. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

It's risky. You can damage your nerves, or tendons, or hit a vein, or even worse, an artery. You can get infections, ugly horrible keloid scars. You get addicted, and have to cut more and more in order to get to the same place you were last time. It's no fun. Not in the long run.

TDM

7. Erratic

Erratic Active Member

What everyone else above has said above.

Generally speaking, it's not the cutting that makes you feel better, it's the adrenaline high you get from doing it that does, but temporarily. You could try to run it out or exercise hard to get a similiar high.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Aren't there other things besides cutting you guys can do release the built up frustration? Like for example punching a pilliow or a punching bag? That would be a great way to release excess energy and get a good exercise too.

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There is nothing inherently right or wrong about it.
    It's considered wrong because most people see that it's long term affects are much more hurtful than helpful, and that there are much healthier ways of coping that can leave you and the people around you feeling better.

It is important not to view it as right or wrong, because then there can be an added guilt, but you have to decide if it is really what you want, if it is the best possible way to heal :hug:.

10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I would imagine cutting is a hundred times more release than punching a pillow. I haven't cut, but I know about that needing of release, and how I put myself in traumatic situations to achieve that release. I'm not an expert, but using such an intense release isn't easily replaced by something like punching a pillow.

11. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

The idea of cutting is quite weird to some people. There is nothing wrong with it really. I mean if it helps you feel better, then its ok. But it's when it builds up, and you gotta cut deeper and deeper to get the same effect that it becomes dangerous.

It's ok to start with, but it quickly becomes an addiction, and that's when people will start to worry and get scared.

12. hopeless

i've been cutting off and on since i was 13 and i've been hospitalized numerous times just for cutting. of course, i do have a background of many, many suicide attemtps.

maybe that's the loophole they've been taking because i don't cut deep enough to bleed a lot, just scratches really

i try to keep them as shallow as possible to avoid scarring and my husband finding out about it. it really upsets him. luckily he's in a completely different state at the moment, and i don't think i'll see him until december.

i just have to make sure that everything is healed up by then or he will flip out and threaten to have me committed to

i just wish everyone would leave me alone and let me have my cutting, but they get so worried that they just don't know what to do.

i've been working on 'distractions,' but it is a hard thing to do if you feel that bad

13. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I regularly cut myself with the Walgreen brand razors. And I love it!

But, once I cut too deep in the mid arm and it tore through the skin, muscle, fat, and I ended up with a small hole that ended with a blue vein...it was gross, painful, and cost $300 in hospital fees.

My other arm suffers from phantom pain whenever I make a fist. I suppose those are the two big negatives about cutting. There's also the social taboo, but I've always been partial to the attention (just joking).

I think, like suicide, people are uncomfortable around the idea of hurting themselves. God knows how those people would do if they had to deal with the emotional and psychological wounds that we deal with daily.

14. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Cutting is seen as wrong because it's an unhealthy way to 'deal' with your problems, it actually doesn't solve anything in the long run and it only causes another problem. There are healthier ways to combat whatever is making you feel like you want to cut yourself. Once you know your triggers that's the first step. I know it's difficult but please do consider looking at other ways to help ease your pain, this thread has some helpful ideas: http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=10275

15. hopeless

thanks for your advice.

i've tried these 'alternatives' before. as long as i'm not really, really bad, and i haven't been fighting the urges for days upon end, then these alternatives to cutting help.

it's when i've been fighting for so long that things like this don't work and i end up cutting.

i wish there was another way, but it's just so hard not to cut.

16. stevtomato

stevtomato Member

I guess, this is similar to drugs. A lot of people can't do other things because they are addicted to the adrenalin and feelings they get from cutting. Why shouldn't people do it? Because, like all addiction, it could turn out real bad.

Well, punching the pillow never worked with me too, I normally listen to music, the kind that make you sadder you know, that way I feel great (I listen to classical music, so I normally listen to Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs or Arvo Pärt's stuff, or even some Mahler).

I guess, all I can say now is, find some thing that can give you release, that won't hurt you physically...

17. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I still think that cutting is a compulsive behaviour like compulsive gambling and not an addiction like drugs or alcohol, but we can save that for the debating thread. :tongue: I think the best way to overcome cutting is to find an alternative that works for you, whether its punching something (or someone j/k), or even exercising. I'm going to buy some boxing gloves and start boxing with a buddy of mine. :biggrin:

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

IYou kno, given my recent experience with alcohol, I think that utm cutting is a better for mof reliease

19. hopeless

sometimes writing helps but that's only if i'm not really really bad. of course last night i wrote after i cut and today i'm so depressed i want to cut again. this is what i wrote:

why does it matter? who cares if i cut? no one has any right telling me i can't cut. it makes me feel better. it helps me to feel 'real' at times when i'm in a daze. it works like something that snapes me back to reality. it gives my mental anguish a physical face-something i can watch heal & prolong healing or speed the process up.

it's something i can see & control.

yeah, it hurts (physically) but at least that pain heals. it's the other that doesn't heal. i've heard it all - "just give it some time-things will get better" everyone has an opinion about what i should and shouldn't do. they all think if i do what they say i'll miracuously get better.

well, i've got news for them-it's NEVER going to go away. things don't change. times doesn't heal. the pain is always there and never goes away.

i don't want my daughter to grow up with a mother like me. she deserves so much better-someone that can love and cherrish and take care of her. i don't want to live like this anymore. i don't want to feel this way anymore. i don't want to fight anymore. i just want to die.

what's the point in trying anymore when all i do is fail anyway. why should it matter anyway. why won't they just leave me alone. why does it always have to hurt so bad all of the time. i just wish they would all leave me alone.

usually writing makes me feel better. but last night it did the opposite. i got my feelings out and it just made me feel worse. of course i had already cut so i just laid there and cried myself to sleep. i'm feeling pretty bad today too. but there's nothing i can do about it except ride it out and hope and pray it doesn't last too many months this time. i have to start work next monday and if i feel this way i don't know what i'm going to do.

at least working will provide a distraction and get me out of bed in the morning. although i will have just as much work when i get home as i always do now. that's going to really stress me out. i just hope that i don't get worse.

20. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

I kind of agree, as long as one can control their cutting, I don't see the problem. Although you don't always realise how deep the cut is until it's done. I've done that more than one, thought it was just a surface cut but it was deeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.