whats your employment status? why are'nt you able to work?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ripx, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripx

Ripx Well-Known Member

Im just wondering because i fee like a total loser because i havent worked more than 2 months my whole life, and im 21. Im legally blind, which is the root cause as to why i cant work. No skills, no eye sight, no confidence, major social anxiety issues. I hate it, i feel like the biggest loser. i try telling myself that it is'nt my fault that i cant work, but the thought always creeps back into my head that im a lazy ass who just aint trying. this is already what everyone thinks of me, i guess i am beginning to beleive it.

2. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Ripx you're legally blind now that in itself would surely prevent you from doing so many thing's that many of us take for granted,I'm being honest here I don't think you're a lazy sod etc because it must be so hard for you.

3. Ire

Ire Guest

I applied to a few places...

I was in the Navy for 8 months. Now that I am out... i just... guess i am too much of a lazy fuck.

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Ripx. Being blind makes it very difficult for you to find work. Nearly all jobs require you to have vision. Don't give up though. I'm sure there are some jobs that you can do. I'm a substitute teacher by the way.

5. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand, I was in that same place when I was your age. Entering the work force can be a major hurdle. Its damn scary! If you suffer from deep anxiety and low in confidence, the thought of a job interview is absolutely terrifying. And even before you get to an interview, just submitting an application can feel like you are setting yourself up for rejection.

I can tell you how it worked out for me, at that time in my life. I was placed on a sickness benefit for deep depression after I dropped out of university. And I had two particularly miserable years in that state.
    Then they put me on a very good "preparation for work" course, and at the end of it they organised 8 weeks work experience for me in an office. I proved myself during this time, and when a vacancy came up in another branch the manager gave me a personal endorsement, and the job "interview" ended up with the other manager just explaining the job to me without asking many questions and pretty much handing me the position. Once you have a job, as well, its much easier applying for other ones, because you have the confidence which only experience brings.

Once you have the foot in the door, in a paying job, it really does make a difference to your life. It is a wonderful way to build up your confidence, and give some meaning and focus to your life, and remove those feelings of shame about being unemployed.

Maybe there is someone you can turn to to help you (like a counsellor) who can organise for you to go on some sort of work experience scheme (or especially one for people with disabilities). -- If they have those where you live.

Its maybe a possibility at least.

6. The Jester Race

The Jester Race Active Member

Sweetheart, if anyone's a loser it's me. At least you have the desire to work.

I have no desire to work. I don't even have the desire to live anymore. And I'm 18. I've had 2 jobs, and internship and an externship, for about 1 1/2-2 months each. I'm a lazy loser that doesn't want to contribute to society. Just because. Beat that.

This is why I plan on killing myself pretty soon. Yeah, my excuse is complete and total bullshit but that's the kinda person I am. I'm doing the world a great favor.

7. Moteh

Moteh Member

Rip, not to get too off topic, but if ou are blind how are you typing to us?

8. Ire

Ire Guest

Legally blind does not mean totally :tongue:

9. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rip, not to get too off topic, but if ou are blind how are you typing to us?

Have you heard about Braille?

10. Ardo85

Ardo85 Active Member

Work is what makes life seem to bleak to me in the first place. Just the thought of spending the next 40+ years performing mind numbing menial tasks to impress arbitrary figureheads is enough to make me want to blow my brains out right now. Not working is a solution for me sometimes. I just won't work until I get up the nerve to kill myself or my parents get fed up enough to kick me out of the house (whichever happens first). Hell, even then I think living outside and digging through dumpsters for food sounds more appealing than being a corporate drone. At least this way I am free to extract what little enjoyment I can out of the remainder of my life, but just the thought and eventually pressures of being forced into employment eventually often overwhelms me with dread. So that little enjoyment is hard to obtain even then.

So, you can say I can't hold a job for more than a few months is because A) I get so bored and frustrated performing the same pointless tasks over and over that just pile up again....and B) I can't stand being pushed around by people who think they are better than you simply because they are given some arbitrary management position over me. Fuck that, everyone should be equal.

11. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Jobs are so scarce around where I am that I've been having little to no luck finding one. I've put in numerous resumes etc. to find a job but no ones really called me back. THe one job that did call me back is too far of a drive for me to handle especially since I hate driving. It's funny I say it's so far to drive I live in RI and you can drive from one end to the other in about an hour. :laugh:

12. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

been unemployed since last oct when i could not stand the office bullying anymore. Plunged into severe depression and became suicidal after my resignation. Every few years working, I would encounter office bullying and as a result I have changed too many industries and with limited experience in each. History kept repeating itself and I reached a dead end. I'm fearful of people, fearful of being bullied and fearful of the future as what kind of future holds for someone like me who cannot adapt to office 'environments'. If I can't work, how could I have an income. With no income, how could I survive? A person like me who couldnt work has no place in this world amd even if I dont work for the rest of my life, there is no point in living as I'm a useless and fearful person. These thoughts kept running on my mind over and over again until I feel fearful of life and lost all interest to live. A person like me simply needs to die but my family doesnt accept my reasoning.

13. Ardo85

Ardo85 Active Member

I agree about the office bullying thing. Its part of my problem as in all my work expereices so far I've been the target of some sort of bullying eventually. I absolutely hate most people I've been forced to work with. The sad thing is in any other situation you could just say fuck the person and move on...but in the work environment you have to display some sort of fake cooperation with people you hate, or else end up losing your job for not being obedient.

14. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

What's worse is I blame myself for my weak mind. The final office bullying broke me entirely as I resigned not out of anger but due to panic attacks and insomnia due to the bullying. I told myself to be strong but my mind failed me. what can a person like me do in this world where one needs to work to survive? I'm not fit in this world. I can't even fend for myself. It has happened too many times. It was alreadt bad enough to have it happen in my early 20s, mid 20s and late 20s but now I'm in my mid 30s and all the resignations and changing jobs have made me a rolling stone with with no moss. Damn this life. Problem is that I can't get out or switch off.

15. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Thats really, really bad luck. I've never ever come across any sort of office bullying in all the places I've worked. All the people and bosses have been nice and friendly -- well some were kindof irritating, but you get that anywhere. So don't give up! It sounds like you've just had a string of bad luck with workplaces.

16. Ardo85

Ardo85 Active Member

I guess the solution, for me at least to the bullying problem is that I've developed somewhat of a thick skin. I no longer blame myself for the bullying, as I have reasoned logically that the person bullying is the one whose insecure, not me. Like you said I'm sure you have reached this similar conclusion but its easier said than done. Your own mind overpowers your sound logic. Hell, I used to have hope that maybe after high school bullying would subside as people got a bit more mature. But I guess the juvenile playground teasing extends into the 30s.

17. Daze&Confused

Daze&Confused Antiquitie's Friend

Unfortunatelly bullies have to get jobs to, and although some may have grownup, most will still behave the same way they always have.
    I really don't care why they bully, if someone pushes me, i push back.

18. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

I quit my job in December for several reasons, I was very unhappy there, i really hated it, but I also wanted to get away from the shift work to be able to spend more time with my partner and the children. I didnt know then that 3 weeks later he would leave me and I would have to move out of the area I love and call home to stay in someones living room from now on :( Ive been applying for jobs but havent heard much back.

19. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i work 3 days a week - too new in ireland to collect benefits (even though i am clinically depressed and doc was willing to sign my application for disability) - you have to have lived here 2 years in order to collect; i've only been here 16 months.

so currently i do graphic design, editing, media relations and web design for a non-profit. i also sell my photos online through a bunch of different websites, including etsy.com, istockphoto.com and others.

past jobs have include webmaster, librarian, researcher, receptionist, hot dog maker at orange julius, cashier, and more.

i like work. it's a great distraction from feeling suicidal and it's very validating to have someone congratulate you for a job well done.

i've been unemployed in the past and every time my mental health took a big dip.

my first job was in fast food. do *not* think these jobs are below you. it gives you great transferable skills, like working under pressure and being polite to the public.

20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

If I was blind, I wouldn't sweat it. I would relax as much as I can. And get some exercize too, of course. Work does not define the man. Man defines the work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.