When did it Start

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by liktheangel, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liktheangel

liktheangel Active Member

When did you start becoming depressed? Age? Grade? Event?
    I started suffering from depression in the 7th grade. I was teased, bullied, and outcasted during that year. Middle was terrible but High School was still bad. Now I'm in college and it's better. However, I'm still depressed and a little suicidal.

2. FlashingFlickering

FlashingFlickering Well-Known Member

About the month before 7th grade started for me, I'm not sure how. Nothing significant changed that summer, except for the fact I started having suicidal thoughts. The actual depression may have started before that, but if it did, I don't remember it.

3. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I started getting depressed when I was in Year 9 at school. Around Oct (2006) when I couldn't cope with changes at school, bullying, changing home life, and perhaps hormones, and I came home and thought I wanted to die, and cried. I never did anything, but I found myself seeking the attention of a teacher I had beforehand who I thought could help me. In fact, I willingly took part in a fight with a bully, because I knew she was vigilant when it came to fights. It half worked. Then I started staying in and stopped going out with friends, got addicted to an online game and started eating too much. I realised I was depressed by summer when I found myself crying myself to sleep, etc. constantly thinking of suicide.

Year 10.. was a repeat of this. When I did work experience in April 2008, I was trying my hardest, and made a mistake, and took it so hardly. I actually went to the bathroom and cried and felt like dying. It was so strange. I'd never been so sensitive in my entire life. In Year 11 I attempted suicide via a small overdose in Sept 2008.. I'd actually intended to die. I was naive about overdosing, and thought by taking a certain 12 or so tablets, it'd kill me, as it warned about taking more than 2. It turns out, there was a lot of caffeine in them, so I woke 6 hours later with a headache, despite that.. felt a little better, but my day was fucked. I started cutting that year as well.. started with little zips with a razor, then I was potato peeling my arms with a shaver razor.. which causes you to bleed a lot and leaves scars. Not very nice. I tried OD'ing on a few pills and Jack Daniels one night, but that didn't work at all.

Year 12 at school (sixth form). I started embarking on late night walks to cut myself, etc. But I also looked into getting help more. I tried calling helplines like Childline and Samaritans but if I'm honest, they were rubbish. The former hung up the phone on me because I couldn't gather the courage to talk. The guy didn't even attempt to 'soften' the convo, just was like "lol ring back when you feel better". Twat. But yeah.. I sort of concluded that year with ending up getting detained for my own good, which is a long story.

Here I am this year, first year in college. Was off to a brilliant start, but I've noticed it has declined. However when I go back, I'm hoping to put a few new years resolutions into action (weight loss, talking to my crush, working harder in college). We'll see how that one goes, eh. I'll get that one day.. hopefully.

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I can't really remember when my depression started or what triggered it. I do remember when I was about 8 or 9 I used to drink things like shampoo in the hope that I wouldn't wake up in the morning. A lot of people said I was a sad child that never smiled. I don't remember a whole lot about my childhood.

My first attempt was in 4th year, I was 15. Was under a pdoc for a few months then discharged. Family pretended that nothing had happened, to this day it's never been spoke about. I'm almost 28 now. I'm not constantly depressed, at times I can actually be fun & sociable. Sometimes, I do go out, be spontaneous & generally have a (good) life. Although these periods seem to be few & far between these days.

5. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

It's been too many years but I don't really know.:duck: Growing up being depressed and the like wasn't really something that got spoken about as often, think I was depressed many years before I really knew it, either was too drunk to know any better or just figured feeling like this was normal.:mad:

6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I don't really know. I think it might have started back in 2006, or 05. There's also the possibility that I've always felt this way and never bothered acknowledging it.

7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

when I was really young... I want to say first time i realized I was probably 11 or 12. It was likely before that though... didn't exactly have a good childhood.

8. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

when i was born probably
    i recall being alone even in kindergarten, people hated me even than :(
    but yah it became unmanageable once the hormones kicked in XD and was getting bullyed for the way i look

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  9. cathyr

cathyr Member & Antiquities Friend

I think I was anxious and depressed throughout my childhood. It didn't become serious until junior high and I have had it ever since on and off(mostly on) I am currently 49 so it's bee for most of my life. My last stable period was 2 years ago, seems like an eternity. I don't even attempt to date anymore, see friends or try to lose weight. What's the difference when I am so miserable?

10. CheapEscape

CheapEscape Active Member

When I was 7. That's when I started having OCD, and it wouldn't stop, and I hated myself and my life and God. I hated going to sleep at night, because I couldn't stop a thousand awful thoughts from coming, and I was terrified and miserable all the time. It got pretty bad in the eighth grade, then went away and resurfaced my sophomore year of high school, and I've been dealing with it ever since.

11. Pinchy

Pinchy Member

About grade seven. I wasn't ready. I did get therapy in high school, but shunned it because they wanted to give me medication. I didn't want medication, I wanted people to stop treating me like garbage. I'm not sure if meds would have helped. Oddly enough, now I can't get a therapist no matter who I yell at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.