When did you seek professional help?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

So... How long after you become depressed did you seek pro help?
    I did it very soon... after 2 months...
  2. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

I havent sought any professional help yet. im kind of too afraid to. i would try and phone the Samaritans or something but i wouldnt know what to say.
  3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

How long are you depressed and how severe?
  4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

When i couldn't get out of bed for a month and felt I was going to kill myself very soon. I went to the GP, collapsed in hysterical tears, got prescribed prozac, had huge panic attacks, went back, and she referred me to mental health services where I've been a user for over 6 years and have had no therapy for my eating disorder in that time!!
  5. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

When I threatened suicide my parents made me see a psychologist. I don't consider it help though because I would never talk to him and I just went on acting like I was fine and just messing around when I threatened it.
  6. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

After two years... But it didn't help at all. So I don't go anymore. It was just a waist of money. All three of them were waists of money.
  7. oscilate

oscilate Well-Known Member

I saw a psychiatrist when I was about 13 or 14 (maybe a few years into the depression), but she said I was fine and after about a year of medication she said I didnt have to come in anymore. The only thing she was basing it one was her sitting at her desk, asking questions like "how are things" and "have you seen your father lately". What a waste.
  8. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I was thrown into therapy last may, and started seeing a psychiatrist in November.
  9. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

ive been depressed for about a year now but i dont really know the severity of it because i dont really have any idea of a 'depression level'. some people on here seem a lot worse than me, others dont seem to have any problems at all compared to me.

it also seems a lot of people on here are not huge fans of getting help from so called professionals.
  10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I suggest to seek pro help:hug:
  11. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Took me 8 long horrible years to build up the courage to try and top myself. The pro help was luck because I completely broke apart after I failed at that.
  12. martijn

martijn Active Member

About 2 months I suppose.. When my mother found out I was cutting. Well, that was when I went to see the doctor. Took 2-3 more months before I got an appointment with a psychiatrist.
  13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

three weeks *after* my attempt failed....went to see the family doctor, told him how low i felt and that i didn't know what to do, i was thinking of suicide 24/7... he took it from there. hardest conversation i've ever had, in all my 42 years. couldn't look him in the eye, mumbled, blushed, looked at the carpet. wrote it down on the back of an envelope in case i lost my nerve. i now have more supports than i thought possible - meds (working ok), psych (once a month, not so good), community psych nurse (excellent), relaxation class (v good for stress relief), and more.

if you haven't thought about getting help i encourage you to reach out. there are no easy fixes but you don't have to feel suicidal all the time. it is possible to start to feel better

14. oscilate

oscilate Well-Known Member

Things are getting worse for me, so this morning I finally asked my mom if I could see a therapist. She definitely proved to me in that conversation that she has absolutely no understanding of my situation, and called me lazy for being like this for the past few years. I guess she makes up for it by agreeing to get me help (although she relies too much on official systems to raise her children rather than actually being a good mother).
  15. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

All came to a head a couple of years ago totally lost it somewhere has taken me this long to refind it but unlike others here that sadly havent found therapy a help i have my counsellor is brilliant and very patient ive been seeing her for 2 years now give it a try its about finding the right person sometimes
  16. Pensive

Pensive Well-Known Member

I had my problems for most of my life, due to a bad time at school (being the freak/nerd certainly) mixed with a bad fallout at uni + alcohol = unusual behaviour. For when it started I dunno, but when I started having strong feelings of suicide it took me almost a year of my mates to convince me to go, starting with the university counsellor (who I disliked, can't remember exactly why), then my GP and, on the strong recommendation of another friend, to push to be referred to the local mental health team then my social worker, who is nice.

First visit I can't even remember what I talked about, left after a vent session and I didn't know the name of the person who I was talking to :tongue:
  17. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Have you asked? If so, what's the hold up. :smile: Any reputable mental-health clinic is morally, ethically, and legally obligated to treat life-affecting ailments GGG but sometimes we have to be our own best advocate and remind and insist.

18. emack54

emack54 Well-Known Member

I saw a therapist in college when I was 19..she told me I wasnt depressed so I never went back to her and remained depressed.
    I started seeing a therapist a year ago this month who has helped somewhat and a psychiatrist just the last 6 months.
  19. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

2005 when I couldn't focus long enough to read my text books anymore... It's been up and down, down, down from there. :dry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.