When do you get help?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

this has been bugging me for ages. When should you talk to someone (i.e. a phone councillor) or organise to see a therapist? I mean there are obvious times when you should, but in the meantime, day to day stuff....er sorry if im unclear.

Well, take it in this context: I some times come home and feel so crap i just am convinced i need (often not want, but need) to die. often i look up various 'plans' on the net or plan the most fool proof way of doing it, like saving up to buy a gun. I cant sleep cause this is going through my head so much, i tend to sit there on the net or go for a drive. I do think i should talk to someone about it but im not sure who or when or if it is appropriate. My mother made me talk to a councillor a few times, but I never bring up this issue or these feelings (dont really feel comfortable telling someone i really want to die) and this last councillor kinda made me feel bad about it all, pretty much saying i shouldnt have the right to feel this way cause things could be heaps worse (which is true i guess). I feel so ashamed about it.

yeah that got off the point a bit, but it felt good to say that, even if this is some anomynous chat.

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on the answer, i hope you understand the question and where im comming from
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2007
  2. paranoidxe

paranoidxe Well-Known Member

I think it should be seeked when it starts to interfer with day-to-day life, you don't want to go to work, don't want to go to school, don't want to do whats needed in life.

I also think you should definitely seek help if you are on the edge of losing it, i.e. you've made plans to end your life or someone else's
  3. heavenlyjunkie

heavenlyjunkie Active Member

I think it's appropriate to seek help if you feel it's necessary to ask about it. Not necessarily therapy, but friends and family. If your bad feelings persist for awhile after that, then it's time to go to the pros.

paranoidxe did offer a good rule of thumb. If it's interfering with daily life, then you're in some degree of trouble.
  4. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

thanks guys. thats givin me something to think about. sometimes i do feel really close to the edge, but i feel guilty for taking up a councillors time. i dont really talk to friends about it, and in saying that im not like antosocial or anything, to be honest no one knows that im even on medication. i get the feeling people will think im weal if i tell them. but still i will try.

thanks again guys
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.