when i was young i had to use ...

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I played a lot of outdoor games as a kid like hide and seek , catch etc. I also played indoor games like cards, Uno etc. Childhood was fun and a blessing. I had lots of friends back then. There was far less internet while I was growing up than present and so it was blissful
it was a better time for kids before internet and cell phones. if you wanted to talk to or play with a friend they had to right there.

mike...*hug*shake

pooky

You are valuable
it was a better time for kids before internet and cell phones. if you wanted to talk to or play with a friend they had to right there.

mike...*hug*shake
Yes, kids had a blissful time before internet, cell phone. Those times went by very fast spend in joy, laughter and happiness. Playing or talking with friends in the childhood was the best time as there was not much distraction

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Those old TVs where when you turned it off and picture shrunk down to a white dot that took a few seconds to disappear before going completely off.
you also had to give them a little time to warm up unless you had one that kept the tubes warm ( which was hard on the electric bill lol ) they also had a horizontal hold and verttical hold that had to be adjusted or you got lines, you also had to use the knob to adjust the picture.

mike...*hug*shake

mike...*hug*shake
I fully agree. I'm so glad I grew up in a time when kids could roam free - my friends and I rode our bikes for hours and and hours around the neighborhood. Just for fun. We played outside or at each other's homes until dinner time at least. I loved to read books and would often read one every few days but still found time to play outside every day. I'm so, so grateful I grew up before sophisticated video games, Internet and smartphones. It makes me so sad when I read of kids and teenagers with no friends - that just didn't happen so much in past decades. Sure there were groups or cliques but everyone seemed to fit in somewhere. the "out crowd" was still fun.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
Floppy disk? Ha, you don't know how lucky you were, some of us had to use cassette tapes! Also I used to type in game code from magazines in Hex, you had to type in 05AE65436AF 435EAD3245 etc etc for hours and if you got a single character wrong the whole thing would crash. (you did learn to save regularly if nothing else!) Other lads just had girlfriends and I never understood why... I'm slowly coming to understand life now.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I remember not even having a TV. We would listen to shows on the radio.
At Uni I went a year without a TV and listened to radio shows such as Alan Partridge, and thought... hold on, this is better than the TV series! I didn't realise how many classic TV shows started on radio such as Hitchhikers Guide, The Day Today etc. Also I remember as a kid I used to love TV shows such as 'V' but always thought the books were better, TV is just over-rated I guess.

Last edited:

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
when i was a young lad our family had a b/w set. when nbc would have the peacock say that a show will be in living color. i used to hope it would be in color somehow. we finally got a color tv when my aunt said pay the $75 dollar repair bill and you can have it. well my dad jumped at the chance. in those days tv's were expensive.

mike

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Floppy disk? Ha, you don't know how lucky you were, some of us had to use cassette tapes! Also I used to type in game code from magazines in Hex, you had to type in 05AE65436AF 435EAD3245 etc etc for hours and if you got a single character wrong the whole thing would crash. (you did learn to save regularly if nothing else!) Other lads just had girlfriends and I never understood why... I'm slowly coming to understand life now.
I remember those old PCs. The high school I went to had the Commodore Pet when I started.

DSCN1435.JPG

When I started junior college that place had TRS-80, Trash 80s. Both were pretty good PCs in their time.

thm_TRS80-ModIII_origdrives-2.jpg

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00