When is a Company Sincere

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Forgotten_Man, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So over the past year I have grown to hate my current position. So a week ago I approached my supervisor and asked her to transfer me to another team. While I would like to believe that she has gotten things rolling on that. I find it hard to believe in my case.

So let me explain my position in my company. I am in charge of a business critical system in my company. I have been doing that job for.. well almost 3 years now. No one else has held my position for as long as I have. I have achieved what they set me out to be which was is the expert on the system. I mean I am really the only thing holding that system together. If I actually killed myself or hell quit the company unexpectedly. Well my roommate and I have joked about how it could be one of the events that causes the company to go under.

What I am worried about is the fact that the business criticality of the system will keep me from getting off this team. I would like to trust my boss, she is a good person. However, I do not know if I can trust the company to really care that I am only 24 and have reached the peak of knowledge in that system. While I have made it known that I am willing to continue to share my knowledge of the system. I do not want to be heavily involved in it. But it took me 2 years of doing nothing but my current job to amass that knowledge. I am worried that the company will continue to find excuses to keep me in my current position.

Am I just being Paranoid?

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Maybe you're just looking at the facts. Try being proactive about it. Maybe you can ask to train someone up to replace you or look to see if their are other people outside of the company with similar experience looking for work.

If the company needs your for that position and there is no one to replace you, I don't think they are going to be able to move you. Not out of being nasty but just because the job you do is a vital link in the company, and to remove you without replacement would crash it.

3. Forgotten_Man

I know that I am going to have to train someone else to take my place. However, I fear that my company won't be willing to really give me the time I need. Despite its vital nature in our company. My system gets the least resources because it does not generate profits, directly. It costs money and more money to keep it running. Which is why I am worried I won't be able to get off.

I am also worried that they will only throw me a few meager scraps to keep me quiet. I worry about a lot. Things like my boss sabotaging a profession reference just so she can keep me there. There are so many things I worry about. I guess in the end I will only be able to escape by quitting. I am just worried about the potential repercussions of hunting for a new job while I am at my old job.

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Have you started to look for a new job or have they been a bit more accomidating with your requests?

5. Forgotten_Man

I am looking around, however, I want to give my company a fair chance to make me less miserable. Then again I doubt I will get what I want. Job hunting is so very hard when everyone wants a contractor or someone to fill a temp job. I hate job hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.