When is it enough to make you sterilize yourself?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, so bipolar I is rough. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... But there are positive aspects to my genes, mostly in my intellect (good looks, too!)

I've also got epilepsy; the last seizure I had crippled me for 9 months and counting.

And now I just discovered that I have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfan_syndrome which means I'll probably have heart and lung problems - as will half of any children I have. I've already got osteoarthritis presenting starting from age 18.

I think I want to have a vasectomy done. This is just not fair to pass on.

What do you think about personally applying eugenics? What would make you do it?

(I'm probably not getting a vasectomy for a few years in any case, this is just thoughts.)
  2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Tubal ligation isn't 100%, my partner is unwilling to get a vasectomy, and I wouldn't try coerce such a life altering decision (even if it can be reversed) on another person.

The only foolproof option is getting my uterus removed, and that comes with problems; namely an increased risk in blood clot formation. There may be medication to be taken to mimic the hormone that helps, but I have yet to do the research. Plus, my insurance likely wouldn't cover it as it's elective.

Like you, my genes are nothing to be desired. Even if they were, I am ethically opposed to bringing children into such a world. There are plenty of kids in need of adoption, the world is overpopulated, and I don't think I'd be a good parent.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

My brother had a vasectomy and has had nothing but problems with re-occuring cysts and infections. I don't think you should consider that option.

If you are highly sexually active and don't want to use condoms or your partner doesn't want to use protection or other methods...only then should you consider any other option in my opinion.

Take care...
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No other birth control method has a 99.95% success rate, which is the goal of self-sterilization (tubal ligations have about a 99.5% success rate)

Your brother had a lousy doctor and did not have typical results. Vasectomies are generally very safe and routine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.