When is it time to just call it quits?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by carebear32, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carebear32

carebear32 Well-Known Member

After my final therapy session of the year this afternoon, I've been doing some thinking and I'm considering leaving therapy next year. I know to a degree I'm finally starting trust my therapist to a point, I can't help feeling like she thinks I'm lying about everything and 'making up stories'. I'm a waste of her time and I'd hate to waste any more of her time.

I guess I need advice from anyone willing to offer it. Should I give up on therapy?
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I think you should be upfront with her about what you're thinking - because there's at least a good chance that she doesn't think you're lying. Please do not assume you are wasting her time, without checking this out with her first. More than likely, she would be mortified to think that's what you're thinking. Nothing wrong with asking for clarification, and then from her response to your direct question on the matter, you can make a more informed decision :)
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Are you lying to her and making up stories? If you're not, then your sincerity should shine through... and you will know yourself what is true, and that is the most important. Be 200% honest in therapy and you will achieve the most reward.

Note: I am not implying that you are not being honest... I'm just making a point. As long as you know you are being honest, that is all that really counts.

I'd stick with it. Don't throw away tools because you're not sure if you're really using them. Keep them around.
  4. carebear32

Thank you both for your honesty. To answer your question, pickwithaustin, I've been more honest with my therapist than I've been with anyone, even my parents. I'm done fighting for my sanity. All I want right now is to die, end all the turmoil in my head.
  5. VikKalmbach

VikKalmbach Active Member

I think its great you've been honest with this person, an important step is making that connection and being able to share the weight. The fact that you even took the steps to therapy, for whatever reason, is a very strong and powerful move and amazing choice. You are definitely not, and I mean DEFINITELY not wasting ANYBODY'S time, anywhere. I promise you this. Like what was said above me, you have a bag of tools and it may be a process to find your favourite but I wouldn't abandon the whole tool bag just yet, especially if you are finally starting to trust. You are a hero to me for figuring everything out, truly. My advice is don't give up on therapy, your first sentence had a lot of hope regarding the trust, but your second sentence contradicted that and sounded very frustrated. There is nothing weak about frustrating, questioning the steps you are taking or even falling apart at the seams a little bit. You do have the power to carry this forward :)

If you ever wanna chat privately I'm on facebook and would love to talk, about this or anything, please let me know

and remember although I don't know you personally you are my brother or sister, and I think your amazing, bright and introspective.
  6. carebear32

Ok so here's a question for anybody. How do I stop my mind from spinning like a stuck record? I've had one thought in my head since Friday and it just goes round and round. I've even been giving myself headaches trying to get my head around it. I've got till at least the New Year to come up with an answer, but it won't go away.
  7. youRprecious!

Take that one thought and write it out on a piece of paper - and tell it that you are stronger than it is. And then burn it. And bury the ashes. Tell it is now dead and gone - even if it bluffs that it has not, stick with it and see what happens - for however long it takes hun :)
  8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I hear what you are saying re the constant thoughts. Thats a tough one. I like what unPrecious suggested. Even if it doesnt work at first, I hope you can considering doing it over and over and over. Also I hope you will talk to your therapist in January re what you are thinking. Talk it out with her that it seems to you that she thinks you are not being honest. And you are. If it were me, I might be projecting ( what she might say... and then what I would say and then next steps...) all over the place and getting my mind in a whirl. So I respect you so much for starting this thread and talking it out. I hope you can get some peace of mind. But I want to tell you that I respect what you are doing by trying to get help here. You rock !!
  9. Scafused

Scafused Member

I've had a racing mind for many years and one trick I've figured out in order to push away a thought process for a bit, is to think about observing it. Observing yourself. For example, let's say I am thinking about how to deal with some sort of upcoming drama. I will observe those thoughts as simply as it can be broke down into. As in, I will just say, I am thinking about drama. Then I wait, for the next thought to occur and observe. If it is the same, I simply tell myself that my thoughts are still on the same thing. This also helps slow down the mind, well my mind anyways. None of this is real advice, just from my own experience.

This is also how I am able to put my mind to sleep at night, as I used to only sleep 2-3 hours at the most, and now I am up to almost 6.

Can't really say how it rids of the thoughts, but for me it does for a bit. Weird how thinking about thinking can rid of some thinking. Now if I don't observe, and continue thinking about whatever is aggravating me, my thoughts crash, so hard in fact, that adrenaline will pour through me, like one would feel before a fight. So that leads to confusion to being so confused thoughts are scattered to where I end up in self=harm without control.

Oh right, that's me, but this advice, perhaps you could twist it to your mind and figure out how to push away a thought.
  10. youRprecious!

I agree with you Scafused - when I have thoughts in my mind I don't want I have learned that they are there because something else is not there which should be there to prevent them being there - and have learned to "objectify" the unwanted ones - it SO works :) Our minds are amazing machines that have Ctrl+Alt+Del already there to click - we can come into awareness of this gradually or at any speed once the concept is latched on to :)
  11. carebear32

I panicked and have put my therapist on hold for 2 weeks. I just can't face her right now. I've got an appointment with her for the 25th of January. I'm scared of the thoughts that are going through my head right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.