when it becomes a useless word?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ~PinkElephants~, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

sor·ry –adjective, -ri·er, -ri·est. 1. feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.: to be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble.
    2. regrettable or deplorable; unfortunate; tragic: a sorry situation; to come to a sorry end.
    3. sorrowful, grieved, or sad: Was she sorry when her brother died?
    4. associated with sorrow; suggestive of grief or suffering; melancholy; dismal.

When does sorry become not enough? When does it get to a point where that word means so little because it's said so much? You contemplate the things you say after you say them then out comes the word "Sorry". Sorry is such a meaningless word when it's not backed up with meaning or backed up with true sincerity. I get tired of hearing from people who are supposed to care about me. I'm tired of hearing "oops, so sorry i broke your heart, or so sorry I broke you to bits" "it won't happen again" right, and the next time it happens you'll say that again and I'll smile and say sure. It's to the point now where that word isn't even in my vocabulary anymore b/c I don't want it to be. I don't want people to be sorry for things they've done b/c if htey were truly sorry they would have never done it. When do people start owning up for mistakes and realize they were wrong instead of syaing sorry like a bandaid will cover a bullet hole???

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Very true hun. Someone can only take sorry so much before you become numb to it. If your sorry then mean it and deffiantly DON'T go and make the same mistake again! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  3. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Many words are meaningless in themselves. "Sorry" is overused, though sometimes it's all you can say.

I do agree that saying "sorry" continually and then repeating the incorrect action is virtually pointless.

Regardless, I hope whatever's bugging you goes away. :hug:

<3

4. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

I think 'Sorry' is most often a social imperative(sp?), not a hearfelt apology.

There are few times when people are actually sorry, few times that they should actually voice the apology, times when they'd be willing to do nearly anything to redo a moment in time. If you say 'Sorry' and you wouldn't be willing to hurt yourself for it, you're overusing the word. You're making it mean nothing.

And most people don't seem to understand that anymore...