When no one wants to help unless they can call the Police?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Regale, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regale

Regale Member

Why is it that there is no one you can confide in unless you are open to them calling the police..Police just make it 100 times worse.

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Have you tried going to a hospital, an MHMR, psychiatrist, or therapist?
    Police generally only become involved when there is a credible potential for someone to harm self or others.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I do u nderstand that police do not have the skills needed really to help someone in emotional distress sometimes they can be so abrupt and harmful
    I think that you should call a professional your doctor and set up an appt to talk to someone who does have the skills to help you
    Police are there just to make sure you do not harm yourself and if you do not cooperate that is when things go wrong

4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think that is true, because I think you just have to find the right people. Okay, that sounds kinda strange...
    I believe that there are persons who understands you and can help you without calling the police. I have two friends and they helped me a lot.
    And I don't think the police makes everything worse. Because I tried to kill myself, my friend called the police and withou that...yeah...I wouldn't be here
    and writing you this little message. It was awkward for me when they came in my room but I became friends with one of them.
    And if you don't want anyone to involve the police talk to us, we are here for you. :hug:

5. Regale

Regale Member

I appreciate your response and those of the others here. I went to our brand new billion dollar hospital and signed in and sat for nearly 3 hours. No one even said boo. I dont have the money to do the professional thing. The one time I got on a national suicide chat line (front page of google) I was honest with the lady about where I was at..I wanted a direction. 5 police cruisers showed up in my driveway, three men came to the door with hands on their 9 milimeters and I talked my way out of the vol or invol 72 hour thing...it tramatized my entire neighborhood and nearly drove me to a mass attemp...I have been good for a year or two now..but with the economy, family issues and insanity out there I have come to realize, the best way is a quiet end to my life. People do get hurt emotionally that is true. But I cannot in good conscience do the physical harm to those I love. I cannot risk that my anger will result in many hurt when only one will solve this dilema. There are too many good people in the world to be harmed by someone like me....

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You are a good person too show by your concern for others Dying will also bring trauma to your neighborhood and most of all to your family they will live with a emptyness inside them forever and a sadness so deep

7. Regale

Regale Member

Thank you for your kindness...This forum is a bit of a surprise. Didnt expect such empathy. I know you are right. One of the things I see often, in my business where its dominated primarily by men, often many of us beating our chests like Apes in the wild, I see men quietly drink or abuse themselves to such a degree they are effectively dead anyway. Sure, they are like the (hypothetically) Oh theres ole Jack, he's always up, such a good guy...oh lets move down so Jack can have his favorite stool...yada yada yada.
    Everyone is happy, Jack is alive and people can go their merry way. Not knowing Jack considers himself dead, his soul pickled with an effervencent smile.
    Fellow forumites, I would rather be honest enough to not slowly subconciously destroy myself til my insides turn to mush from some intellectual instrament of my demise.
    Does that make sense or am I suffering from some kind of delusion and self centered pity party? Its hard to know anymore.

8. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

don't worry, you make sense

9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yep, make sense. You are an incredible awesome person, you care for others more that enything and this is great. :hug:

10. Regale

Regale Member

Today I am feeling better. I decided to come back to this website and forum because while the URL is a bit intimidating to anyone coming from the lack of experience with the issue, I realized that so many of you are very kind. And you speak from what appears to be a genuine knowledge of what looking over into the abyss actually feels like.

In 1999, I stood in front of a little mirror, I was sooooo depressed and despondent, I took a handful, and I mean a huge handful of dangerous pills and swallowed them all. As they fell down my esophagus (throat) I realized I couldnt stop or change course. My SUDDEN thought was OOooops. I thought well, nothing I can do now. I was shocked at my Oops thinking, I just entered reality!

I went upstairs, laid down in my bed (no one was home) and began to feel the effects of the pills. I was paralysed, like I had 20 quarts of tequila, my eyes, my muscles, my thoughts, no pain but no control and it began to get dark but not like night. Dark like one might imagine in a Don Quixote rendition of El Diablo. Time gone and absolute, I mean ABSOLUTE solitary is where I was. No passing of time, just alone in the dark and I drifted off, further and further off. I realized I could have thoughts of this while it was happening but that those thoughts where separating from me and i could see them becoming faint..more so now...faint more so now and then...
    There was Nothing. I was gone. No light at the end of some ethereal tunnel, no angels, no jolt from some doctor in the ER. Gone...

People. The above is an absolute true experience I had. It is not a story.

At some point, however, and I have NO IDEA how much time had passed, a minute, an hour-two, three, a half day, my eyes opened a bit...there were 7 men, all firemen. Huge men, I remember thinking Holy Cow those guys are huge. They had me in their arms, I couldnt speak, move or anything. They handed me down the latter of men down the stairs and the next thing I know Im in the ambulance. I had no cognitive ability so I only knew it was going somewhere...The men wouldnt fit in the ambulance I remember and I dont know who was in it with me. It sped down the road. Somehow I got put in the emergency room, people were yelling, it occurred to me one guy was yelling at me. I thought, what is this guy yelling at me for, LoL...I didnt want to be there did I? He said, drink this or we are going to invoke you...I looked at the crud in the cup and thought..hmm, the word invoke doesnt sound like a better option. I drank what appeared to be black glue. I couldnt taste anything but I was scared. About what I wasnt sure. Just that half of the people there were yelling at me, the other half family but mostly my father, was crying. I never saw my dad cry.

I lived...

The next many years were hard and in many ways harder. You see, I became Ultra successful, then lost everything, then got some new things, lost some old things and gathered my faith in God, lost my understanding of what is that all about. Got it back, lost it, got it back and now its 2013.

Do I know very much? Not really. But yes I know things I didnt know before. Do I know very much? I only know that I appreciate the things you in this forum have said to me. That is enough to make me happy I am living. It makes me know it will be alright.

I hope all of those who read these forums will someday know what I know. It is good and ok to be alive and stay that way.

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm so glad you're still here, that you survived your attempt years ago and that you came back to the site. I know things are tough right now, but I hope you'll continue reaching out and trying to survive... your life is worth fighting for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.