When old memories hurt like hell, can therapy help you?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by feathers, May 2, 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

When anything in my life makes a major impact I often don't fully recover from it and when anything triggers the memories it hurts just as much as before.

Will therapy help this for me? And how? Because I have talked about this stuff again and again and whenever it triggers it still hurts just as much. Talking either does nothing or has done as much for me as it is going to.

Can therapy help me?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

therapy will not take the pain away from the trigger what therapy does is teach you how to cope with that trigger teach you how to come back to the present and not stay in that pain so yes therapy helps that way
  3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Its a personal thing i think. For instance, therapy doesnt work for me at all, ive been through x amounts of CBT and ive been to so many counsellours that it hurts to think how many. But then what doesnt work for me works for someone else. Its like medication, it takes an age to get right but when it works only you can know
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

a lot of us have this...and on a basic level i think it can be classed as ptsd. the problem with the sort of therapy you need is that you have to keep doing it as much as it hurts and you have to keep at it even when you want to quit until your stress or anxiety levels drop a little...then you do it again the next day and the next but you dont give up the exposure until you acknowledge that you anxiety has dropped a little. the theory is that your anxiety cant remain high all the time and over time it will drop to a manageable level and remain at a level that is not so distressing...it could take days weeks or months...depends how deep the prob is...just keep at it. so yes...the right sort of therapy can help, but it does take a lot of hard work and you will go through pain and even then you have to keep going...no quick fix. good luck
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

why not give it a go. it's really helped me.