When you are feeling suicidal, is the anonymity of SF a good or bad thing for you?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Aleth, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

I just wondered if people find the whole anonymity of a place like SF a good or a bad thing when they are feeling suicidal.
    Does hiding behind an icon and pseudonym make you feel more comfortable, or just more disconnected from the other people here?

Personally I don't feel I can really connect with someone if I can't see them or know what they look like. But at the same time the anonymity feels safer.

2. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

Re: When you are feeling suicidal, is the anonymity of SF a good or bad thing for you

i know what you mean, i like the security and feel less judged with the anonymity, but also would prefer to know what the person i was speaking to looked like and what their first name is.. not in a shallow way, just because i'd probably be able to talk more openly if i knew more of what they were about. xxx

3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Re: When you are feeling suicidal, is the anonymity of SF a good or bad thing for you

Hmm.. I think I hide who I really am to the people in real life, I feel like I can be more honest and open here becasue of the anontmity. I'd never be able to talk about the stuff I can on here in real life, it'd be nice to get to know some of the people on here better in real life though. Guess that's why there are things like the london meet...

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I prefer anonymity.

People make me nervous.

5. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

I think its just human nature to want to know what the person we are talking to looks like.
    And on the reverse, being reduced to just a string of words can make you feel a little invisible and unreal, if you know what I mean.

That is true. Do you think you would go to something like the London meet? (I'd never heard of that.) It seems like a big jump from anonym land to meeting in the real world like that.

~ Aaron

6. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i do prefer the anonymity because of the fear of being judged. i also think you can be more honest with yourself in words than you can to people in real life. i just couldnt talk to my real life friends who dont undertand about how suicidal i feel at times due to being frowned upon

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think the anonymity is helpful because I could never let people in in RL. Not that I do much here anyway.

8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i like the anonymity.
    it makes me feel safe.
    i like knwing the person's name
    but the story says it all..

9. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i like onlineness, i always have, i feel i can still connect with people this way, though i understand how some ppl cant.

but in regards to if i were in crisis is it better being anon, idk, cause if i had everything sorted and planned out i would post, i'd come on and say hi to everyone i cared about, but i wouldnt mention my plans.

if i wanted "to be saved" i would post, everyone has those moments when they need just a little pick me up, some more tahn others, but still i think its a human nature thing.

so to me it doesnt really bother me either way

10. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I'm thinking about it but think I'll probably chicken out :sad:

11. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I'm always open and candid. This is my name and my last diary entry was about my prostate :laugh:. I don't go for anonymity. I'm partially suicidal because I feel like I'm doomed to be alone.

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I rely on this forum for my support because I am an isolationist, have been for most my life. But the last fifteen years I have been isolated to my bedroom 24/7. I only come out when I have to. I have no friends outside of the forum. Other than my family the only interaction I get on the outside is my therapist and my doctors. I don't do people!!! I have made alot of friends here and I hold them close to my heart. Some I have gotten a little closer to on MSN where they post there pictures so you see who you are talking to. Myself I don't let anyone take my picture because of my beleifs. My friends here have pulled me back several times. And also have given me space when I needed it. You can't ask for anymore than that.~Joseph~

13. Alais

Alais Well-Known Member

For me, I like being online. With my history, I feel a lot of shame. By not having to look someone in the eye while I "talk" about it, it takes the shame out of it and I find I can actually talk a lot easier about what's bothering me and sometimes even discuss things that have happened to me that I could NEVER tell someone face to face.

14. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I like the anonymity too.

15. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I like that I can talk about things to people who have been in my shoes. I can talk here about things that I could not talk about to a shrink. I can't exactly ask her, if she feels jealous when she reads about a death in the paper can I. I can also ask questions about her. Or I talk about an attempt the next day where I wouldn't dare talk about it with her. Or I can ask what it is like to be in hospital or on antidepressants and get more of an honest answer from people here than from her. I like the anonymity because when tradegy struck someone leaked it to the media, so I know there is less risk of that happening. My tradegy made world wide news.

16. reddragon2410

reddragon2410 Well-Known Member

The anonymity is brilliant for me. I am unable to open up to people who know me. Here, I feel like noone can judge me, as they don't actually know me. They only see an alias.

17. Seerbrum

Seerbrum Well-Known Member

sometimes, but other times I'm afriad some one I might know... or some one I want to avoid might make all the connections and find me out.

I shouldn't care, this is me, and my life. but honestly I want hurt in private, I want to wallow in private. It's an ugly thing, self-destruction and suicide, if I wish to be private with my feelings, it should be my right. but Alas people will refuse at times to respect it.

18. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I think the anonymity is a good thing.

19. HiddenMask

HiddenMask Member

anonymity is what makes this forum and the internet great because you have the freedom to say what you want knowing that it does not matter what you say because you are only a username and nothing more.

20. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I love the anonymity, makes me feel safe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.