when you don't want to cut

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Cariad_Bach, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

Is self-harm the same as self destruction?

I don't want to self-harm, but I do want to do things that will hurt me... Or, risk injury... Or just make me suffer.

I want to do something dangerous. Something that could have bad consequences.

I want to... I want to...
  2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Yes. In short. I do this too - when I feel like I need punishing for doing something bad (or being something bad :/ ) unfortunately whether self harm or self destruction - it is self indulgent. I am sorry that you want to hurt - I am sure that you do not deserve to. :hug:
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think it's along the same lines...if I don't self-harm, then I will still do things to put myself in harm's way, because I don't care about myself. I hope that you don't do anything and find ways to distract yourself from these feelings :hug:
  4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

yes I have certainly felt this way at times. I categorize it in the same way as a lot of the other depression related despair. Losing the will to carry on often goes hand in hand with no longer fearing dangerous situations because, well, it doesn't matter, does it? That is the thought process. And it is very tough to work your way out of that cyclical negative thinking. That is maybe the most dangerous thing about depression. Once you get so deep into it the negative and destructive thinking becomes... calming, even reassuring.

Please hang on. One day at a time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.