When you have a felony you're never given a chance again.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ddmax, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddmax

ddmax New Member

So here’s my question or my rant. I have a felony for receiving stolen property. This constitutes willingly and knowingly receiving more than $400 but less than $15000 worth of stolen property. I can not find a job that pays more than $8 an hour. Most of those low paying jobs I still won't be considered for. I am a highly intelligent, hard working, mechanically minded person. I can figure most things out on my own simply by reading and researching. I have applied for dozens and dozens of jobs over the past 3 months many of which I was more than qualified for but wasn't even considered because I have a felony. My felony is from 1994. The only reason I have a felony is because I had a shitty attorney. Anyone who knows anything about the justice system knows that you can have 2 people with the exact same charges and the one with the good attorney will almost certainly get entirely different treatment than the person without a good attorney. I can't live on $8 an hour. Just do the math and you'll see what I mean. Living on the street is no way to live. I don't have children and I am not close to my family. If I can't work or ever be given a chance to work a decent rewarding job then what the fuck is life worth living for? I don't want to leave this world but its really becoming clear that this world doesn't want or have a place for me.

2. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

hey dd welcome..

sorry to hear this :(
    will this charge ever expire? this is a long time ago, it seems v unfair that you are in this situation :(

3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Hi DD.

In Los Angeles I used to work with an organization that helped people with life obstacles (homeless, mental illness, felonies) get a well paying job. Getting out of prison can be very tough. And the economic ramifications of having a conviction on your record - particularly a crime involving theft - makes it very difficult to get a job.

Unfortunately, the normal avenues of job gathering are somewhat limited in your position - the economic crisis in conjecture with your past crime will make most job opportunities very difficult to maintain. But it's not impossible!

The most important thing you can do is network. Network with everybody you know and everybody you don't know. Take the crummy 8/Hour job, try going back to school, and continue to show people that you've changed. Some states in the US don't require you to put down your felony position - consider moving there.

Have somebody go over your resume with you. Start adding volunteer groups to your resume. Always emphasize that the crime happened over 12 years ago. Try to find a job -rehabilitation program.

You can find resources online, in your local police station, in your local state hospital (us crazies need help getting work too :tongue:), or your local welfare office -... I forget what the department is called.

School is a great option for you. Even if you can only afford a couple classes, it's better to say you're a student then unemployed and inactive (as most people wrongly see looking for a job and stressing about not having a job as doing nothing).

Best luck,

Don't give up!

james.

4. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Self employment= Good dollar, respect, no interview.

5. ddmax

ddmax New Member

Thanks for all the input. A couple of things. Ive never done time in prison. Felonies never expire. They're for life. Theres a reason prisons were privatized. Profits for shareholders. Look it up. From what I know felons can't work in hospitals. Cops hate and judge felons more than anyone so going to the police station is seriously an idiotic idea. School costs money. A couple of classes is at least $1000 after tuition and books. $8 an hour at 40 hours a week after taxes is roughly $896. Ok so I move to state where I don't have to disclose it. Most employers run background checks. They'll find out one way or another. Sorry to sound negative but this is all stuff Ive thought long ago. The system is set up to keep people in no matter what they do or how hard they try. Its job security for alot of people.

6. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

i had a friend whose son had felony convictions and worked in home health care. I was surprised. And she told me about a nurse in a hospital where she worked who had committed a major felony. I don't know if this is because of the states where they were or the time (it was the nineties).
    Schools have financial aid. You're mechanical -- go to the voc-tech or community college. Do they have any advice? There must be other students who want to get their life back on track. And I bet some of them have done time in prison.
    Can you be a self-employed handyman?
    Make calls to your city or county social service agency -- i agree.
    I think many of us know what it's like when everything is a dead end. I'm this way with depression. People make lists of things I should do -- exercise, nutrition, acupuncture, herbs, remove fillings in my teeth -- and part of it's because they're in denial. They don't believe I've tried. Otherwise, it could happen to them.
    So, how can you convince people you're trying? Can you make a goal, like -- I will call two government offices or two schools this week -- and tell us what they said, and if they can't help you, who can?
    What's happened when you've researched this on the Internet?
    We are supportive people, and we are all helping each other hang on.

7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

The police judge you. But they are forced to carry social service numbers :)

8. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

...my suggestion is a long-shot....but one to consider

felonies CAN be pardoned.

you might be able to get an atty to pro-bono your request for pardon. check the laws / info regarding pardons.

my other thought, is, yes, self-employment as someone posted. OR . . .working for someone who is a small business owner. (like my ex husband. he doesn't care if the person HAD a record, if they are clean NOW) and he owns a small business. what he wants is someone who will work like heck for him, that he can trust them, and he rewards them. many small business owners would apppreciate someone like yourself.

now...ways to meet them, and get to know them. . you might now like my suggestion, but it is something i have SEEN work. . . . a church (you do not have to be 'religious' or 'spiritual' to go to a church. and most people in churches are willing to give people SECOND CHANCES (it is the whole point!) and many people go to churches, just for the social aspect.

ok. keep us posted on what you try to work out - glad you are here hun (((hugs)))

9. pensive1981

pensive1981 Well-Known Member

I was going to make the same suggestions as madame fontaine... Taking a stab at a pardon. I am actually quite surprised to hear that receiving possession of stolen property between 400-15K would qualify as a felony.

10. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

If society doesn't give you a second chance in life, you still can do something about it . Ever thought of starting some small business for yourself? you can be your own boss and with your intelligence, I'm sure you will be able to succeed. Flea stall, internet marketing, plumber, burger stall, whatever. Doesnt matter the type of business you do as long as it's an honest living. think about self-employment. Don't think about stumbling blocks, as obstacles are what you will see when you tak your eyes off your goal as the saying goes :)

11. aquarius

aquarius Member

I think this is how it works: (I could be wrong)

I thought felonies come off your adult record (officially) after 10 years and misdemeanors after 7 years. Only the court keeps a record after that. You can have the case sealed after that, which requires your signature to let someone (except the court or law enforcement) have access to the files. An employer can only ask you, and if you say "no," on the application, they can't really check to verify one way or another. If the conviction occured when you were a juvenile, then it comes off your record, I think, when you turn 21 - no matter it was felony or misdemeanor. At that point, your juvenile record is sealed, and you have a new "adult" record with no convictions on it. There are exceptions of course, such as for serious, violent crimes like murder.

But, most employers aren't really going to question it, if you deny it, and they aren't able to check it at the court register's office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.