where are we going?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Is depression just a wake up call to the reality of life, of existence. That nothing means anything at all. All these emotions we feel are fake and just products of our environment. I can't help but feel i'm a realist and it's everyone else that is sick.
  2. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

I kind of feel the same way. I believe that people who are depressed and suicidal are the only ones who actually understand life. Everyone else needs their entire life until their death to understand life whilst we see the truth much earlier.
  3. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

That isn't entirely true, people who are depressed understand the fact, yet some of us still try, still have hope to find happiness in society. Like me, just today I want to find a place in this world, I don't want to die and leave, more specifically, I just want to live happier. Happiness does exist; perhaps your mind is clouded by negative thoughts, but i can't judge you. But me, I realized inner-anxiety can cloud thoughts, true truths, and things you never accepted to be true.

where are we going? nobody knows the answer, yet we all wake up every morning knowing this, but we have hope!
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think most people walk around with a bit of depression that they can usually keep themselves distracted from by following the default path of life - school-secondary school-job-marriage-retirement-dead. But everyone is angry about this life that happened to them rather than they created, and depression is anger turned inwards.
    Maybe being depressed is just being more in tune with the natural state of this world. Depressed. But I wouldn't think depression is a wake up call at all. Depression is like sleeping. Like being in a nightmare. Waking up would be bringing things full circle. Seeing things for what they are, and eventually experiencing joy aside from external circumstances.
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I feel very similarly at times. Especially the 'emotions are fake' part. And yeah, I feel that most people are liars and hypocrites, and that I am one al lot of the time as well. I always get told off for being weird, negative, angry when I feel there are completely valid reasons for feeling the way I do. And when I try to explain these reasons I get treated like I'm crazy or just get ignored. It can be frustrating. I've been thinking that life means nothing at all lately as well....but I don't know...I think of that as a liberating thing. Probably because I used to be religious and felt so scared about doing things wrong and going to hell all the time.

Amazing post. I agree very much. I've noticed that most people on here are very insightful and deep thinkers generally...and I think...well for me, a lot of the stuff people have done to me, like bullying, abuse sort of thing, was done by people who were very angry themselves....and just walking down the street, in the supermarket, whatever, looking at people's faces....=/ pretty miserable.
    And yes, I agree that depression is like a nightmare, it seems different from normal sort of low feeling. It's almost like you can feel the hollowness inside of you, and it's like sadness that never goes away. And, for me, I know I can reach my full potential in this state. But I think it's a case of reaching rock bottom before you can fully reach the top. 'Waking up' 'bringing things full circle' as you said.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Henry David Thoreau
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.