Where do I even start to get better...

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 3, 2010.

1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've asked this question a few times but before I had an answer.
    All of a sudden I am ten times worse than I was before and feel like I don't know where to turn this time.

I know giving up alcohol and going back on meds (fluoxetine is one step) but what else.

The NHS only offers 8 sessions of counselling for free and you have to wait about 3 - 6 months before they happen, but I feel like I need them NOW!
    I can't afford therapy elsewhere.

Meds alone aren't enough to fix me, so what else am I supposed to do?
    I am definitely getting closer to suicide everyday, the one thing that has been stopping me so far is guilt but I feel less like I care every time I wake up and my illness seems to be getting worse every time I wake up also.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What's wrong? There are other fixes than medication and therapy depending on what you have.

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Severely depressed, suicidal, social anxiety, body dysmorphia, hypersensitivity (HSP)... those are the ones of greatest importance I feel. Mentioning anything else would just take forever.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You know how to fix some of those.

Depression: http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=80914 Take up running in a local park. Run as long as you can and walk until you've consumed a whole hour, and do it every day.

Social anxiety: Take a class so you interact with people. Yoga would be a good choice - it's got exercise so will also help depression. Yoga is also relaxing and helps with anxiety in general.

I don't know much about body dysmorphia or hypersensitivity, though the problems associated are of anxiety. Meditation is another good way to relieve anxiety. It takes some work but is better than medication. A final point is that a strict circadian rhythm helps with insomnia and bipolar (which you may have, as it's often confused with depression) for sure - ensuring you get 10 hours of perfect darkness at the same time every day will help tons. I suspect it would have significant benefit to most mood disorders, but have no proof.

So, those are some things other than medication and therapy which might help. Running in a park. A yoga class (or any other sort of class where you'll deal with people). Meditation practice. A strict sleep schedule. Try these.

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Have you asked for a referral to the CMHT (community mental health team)? The CPN's may be able to help with CBT & group therapy, things like that. It's worth looking into.

:hug: xx

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks Stefan but I don't even have the energy to get out of bed and get showered, how on earth am I going to get to a park to exercise or meditate.

I went to my Doctor today and asked for Fluoxetine again and he put me down on the waiting list for counselling. Will it work....? Who knows.
    I'll look into getting a CMHT referral thanks Calire. I really want to try group therapy again (I'm not exactly sure what CBT is?) because being around people with the same problems was a big help last time.
    Only difference is this time I don't think I'll ever stop. Need to accept that I'll never get better and must use things to curb the depression instead of thinking like I can get rid of it.

7. Aurora Gory Alice

Okay just read up on CBT, I am willing to try that. At this point I am willing to try any and every thing!

8. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Good Luck with the referral Linds. It was a nurse that referred me to my cpn, the gp's had never mentioned it to me, in fact in the beginning the gp's were pretty much useless. Everyone has their own experiences but mine are mostly positive, they were a great help to me, I had mine for almost 3 years & I've just been referred back again. It was a good support network for me, it didn't replace my psychologist but it was helpful in the interim. She was also good at liasing with my GP, psychiatrist & psychologist when I wasn't up to it.

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Group therapy sounds like it helped you in the past so will be a good thing to pursue. Where did you access the group, was it through the NHS?

Another thing- you could check out free local counselling centres who offer a time limited therapy.

But you sound really unwell- regular CMHT support and a social worker/CPN could be useful- they'd monitor you, if you needed intervention at any time.

10. Aurora Gory Alice

I'm feeling a lot better since I started back on the meds, they've taken the edge off. I was very suicidal the last few weeks and worried I would do something.

Free local counselling centres? Where do I find those, that sounds like it could really help.

The group therapy was through a company called London Group Therapy. Only thing is I was working back then (inital assessment is £60 and every session there after is £20). Right now I am out of work so that would definitely break the bank. :(

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

It's good that the medication has taken the edge off things.

You could try googling "local counselling centres" + your area, or your local MIND directory should have a list of agencies ; they might cater for "drug and alcohol" or "women" or something, but there are a variety of therapists working in those areas dealing with MH problems, and is where I found the most useful help many years ago.