Where do i go from here?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Chaw, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaw

Chaw New Member

I tried to kill myself recently after a long depression and possible substance induced psychosis. I'm left with horrible scarring and feeling even worse than before. I go to uni and i hid it quite well from the people i live with and i'm scared to go back because there was one girl there who has attempted suicide twice and some of the people there treated her horribly because of it. I'm thinking of quitting uni altogether. I feel so guilty and ashamed. Can anyone just tell me how they coped after the event?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You get therapy you talk to a councillor you don't hide away hun If you are doing better then that is great do not be ashamed of you You were in pain now you are not so continue to do well ok continue to reach out and get supports you need to stay strong. The one girl that they are mistreating perhaps get the councillor to talk to these people before they harm others hun get the school to make people aware how they can help instead of harm You take care of you okay

3. crystalclear

crystalclear Well-Known Member

You could talk to your counselor. You don't have to be guilty or ashamed of your situation because its not your fault. as for the girl, maybe, you could also talk to her you could help each other. I wish things get better for you.

4. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

I think that the big thing is, you don't have to feel obligated to tell anybody you don't want to tell about what happened. If you do, there will be consequences. People, in general, have very strong feelings one way or another about the topic of suicide, and sharing your story of survival with them will earn you a label, as well as a chance to be judged. I think that, if I had had it to do over again, I never would have told a single soul outside of family a few years ago after my lame, failure at dying. Yes, there were some incredible, intense friendships that became very good for me health wise. But you want to know what? They had a shelf-life in terms of how much some one can take. At a certain point, it becomes exhausting & tiresome for the other party, especially if they cannot change your mind about the feelings on said subject. I don't believe that this is what you were seeking specifically, but I just thought I'd give my opinion based upon my history. As for the shame, or feeling of hiding out, that's perhaps normal but not necessary (in other words, you don't need to feel guilty about what has happened and punish yourself further, accordingly) In fact, & I know this isn't easy, but the sooner you can get back to doing the things you love to do--no matter how small they might be--the better you will feel. It's hard when you're feeling like this, to want to do anything good for yourself, but that is precisely what is needed at this time once you've begun to heal from the trauma and feel healthy enough to do so. Avoiding isolation like the plague is probably the best advice I can give. It's the one thing that looking back on my aftermath, I benefited from. I had a lot of fun with a lot of people. But it wasn't easy at first, I still made myself get out of bed and do it. Eventually, it gets easier, and before you know it, you're feeling pretty good about life again. After all, you're lucky to be alive, and to get another crack at it. With regards school, I know that that has got to be the worst most uncomfortable place on Earth right now, but if you can do your best to try to get back to functioning as closely as possible to the way you were before this all happened, and you got sick, that might help establish a sense of normalcy. But it will take a brief period of time, and quite naturally, some uncomfortable moments to endure. But the good news is, that you can do it, and you can do it well. Try not to get all caught up in what your classmates are thinking about you, because it's none of their business, and you don't have to put on a show for anyone. Just focus on you for now. That's plenty to digest! Worrying about the opinions of others only leads to fear, and is an unnecessary waste of time and energy when you have no control over how people are going to behave. If they're idiots, they're idiots. Congrats to them! And congrats to you, for making it through such a difficult experience. I know you probably won't believe me now, but it can and will get better very soon, if you let it happen for yourself. You deserve that most of all. Best Wishes!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  5. Chaw

Chaw New Member

Thanks man this has really helped to put things in perspective a little bit. I know its not gonna be easy to go back but i just wish it was. I can't change what i did. It just helps to know i'm not alone out there. Thanks again man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.