Where is home?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Does anyone else get the feeling of never knowing where 'home' is?

Despite being married for 28 years, with two fantastic kids and a lovely house that we've lived in for 17 years it just doesn't feel like home.

I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it's more of a sense of belonging that I've never had. But I feel like I've been searching my whole life for somewhere to call home.

My brother told me that when I was very small, probably around five or six that I used to cry and tell him I wanted to go home while sitting in my bedroom. I can certainly remember thinking that I wanted to go home way into my teens although the crying had stopped by then.

All through my childhood I harboured fantasies that I was adopted or stolen and my real parents would come and find me and take me home. I know this isn't the case as there are photos of me as a baby and a really strong family resemblance.

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah I get that. I never feel settled I could move house tomorrow and not give a damn. I definitely have no affiliation to the building. And for some of the time I can say the same about the people that live there too. Pretty sad statement right? Bottom line @Lulabelle yep, I get ya.

Charliex8

SF Creative
SF Supporter
Yes. I completely understand that.

I used to say that all the time as a child too! Especially when I got upset, I'd say it over and over in my head, begging....something....to take me home. Like I didn't belong in this world. I imagined aliens or some sort of otherworldly creatures putting me here as punishment lol

I often wonder whether these thoughts were just me struggling to understand my emotions and wanting to escape them or if I've actually been feeling suicidal from that young age but not understanding what it meant....

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
The first thing I thought of after reading this post was AFI's song "...But Home Is Nowhere" (shocker, I know). But that's exactly what my answer to your question is: Nowhere. I've never really had a sense of "belonging". It often feels as though I've simply been misplaced.

I don't have an answer to where "home" is. I've looked all my for somewhere to belong. Got me into trouble a lot. Sometimes I think because the home I grew up in was toxic that I kept trying to find "home" but it was always toxic yoo. Repeating patterns I guess. I finally thought that I had a home with my daughter. Turns out it's just a house.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Oh I can relate. Especially when I was a teenager, I could be sitting in my own bed in my room and think 'I want to go home'. Just like, everything felt wrong, and I needed to be somewhere *else*, somewhere I would somehow feel safe and comfortable.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00