Where or at what moment is your OCD worst?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I have the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (ocd), and i'm a clean freak. I like everything to be clean, that includes myself hence why i take 2 showers a day... I would read and re-read everything before posting also.. this combine with depression isn't good at all. This is hopeless..

Do you you have some behaviors like that? :(
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

exactly the same as you Boo...except I had to stop the 2 showers as my skin is so dry it itches all the time....
    I wash my hands so much they crack and bleed...
    I carry anti-bacterial wipes with me everywhere....I get upset if anyone coughs or sneezes around me and try not to breath till I'm 'safe'..
    I have disposable gloves I use for almost everyhting..
    I wash my clothes if I've been anywhere public even if they're not dirty...
    I don't wear shoes in the house because of the germs they'll have on the bottom of them....
    I worry when I'm out about the iron, hair tongs, heater, etc. being left on and burning the house down...
    I read these posts so much before I submit that my 'log-in ' has expired...
    I obsess about every word i said after I've spoken to anyone..even the checkout girl at the supermarket...did I say the wrong thing? did I upset them?

Oh my!!! that's only the tip of the iceberg....no wonder I'm in therapy:biggrin:

this all worsens when the depression or anxiety is worse..

I'm sorry you are suffering this too Boo...
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I do that too! In the subway if some cough or sneeze i would hold my breath hoping the bacteria goes away...

Another one is me always checking my wallet to make sure i have all my cards...
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Oohhh and I hate public toilets....won't even tell you the fuss I have to go through to attend a public toilet...I have to be really desperate....
    When I think about it OCD is pretty restrictive and a great burden...
    My father used to say a bit of dirt never hurt anyone...
    .he also reckoned I had no immune system because of my germ phobia...he was right about that..
    But I have no control over my OCD so what do we do?
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I don't know what we can do... I never truly realized it was an illness. I just thought i was a clean freak. The reason why i hate summer so bad is because i get all sweaty. I feel so dirty and get really anxious because of that. I would get really hot and itchy and my skin would start to itch. :(
  6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

i think it's a symptom of our anxiety and depression ..
    Might ask my counselor about it today...see if she has some ideas how to fix it..
    It's amazing how we learn to live with it being so restrictive and demanding...
  7. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I have relatively mild OCD, although it used to be much, much worse (not sure what's changed, I think other issues have become worse in its place). My biggest OCD behaviour at the moment is object placement - everything has it's 'correct' place and cannot be moved or rearranged, even by a few mm. I know the moment I walk into a room in my house if something has been moved. I can spend hours arranging things, and cleaning takes forever as not only does everything have to be spotless but also placed in the exact right spot.

It also manifests itself in the way I eat, although I never even noticed this until I was having dinner with my sister's family and my brother-in-law said "wow, you're even worse than ******! (a family friend with specific eating habits)". He'd noticed that I eat my food in order, and will only eat one thing at a time until it's gone, and none of my food can touch. I hadn't realised I did this at all.

I used to be incredibly obsessive about germs and cleanliness, but strangely this has all completely gone away since I did a food hygiene course for work. The trainer explained that something like only 4% of bacteria are actually harmful to us, and the odds of us coming into contact with them are more slim than you'd think. I still think it's disgusting when people cough or sneeze near me, but I can finally sit on toilet seats now, after about 18 years of hovering!

8. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Mine is ....

Counting numbers doing a pattern with my fingers.
    Reorganizing things over and over and over
    Me too about the appliances, I check 4 times when going out the door, no wonder the handle is ready to give!
    Hangers spacing them and reorganizng them
    Turning on the faucet over and over
    Various numbers in my head before I can move on
    Brushing my teeth over and over and over even though I haven't eaten
    Buying the same things from 5 diff stores in one day
    Tap things a certain way and number of times
    All my food is cut a certain way and placed on my plate a certain way and weighed on a scale. If I mess up, back to square one.
    Music is on repeat for days

God damn, is there enough hours in a day!
  9. pinkpetals33

I don't know when it is worst, I've pretty much operated like this since 3 years old.
  10. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad Pink,:yeah: I have most of what you listed too, plus too many more. Never tell others all of them, ashamed of how many OCDs I have...and you're right about is there enough hours in a day, rather not think about the amount of time I spend doing them. And 2 showers a day isn't too many, wish that's all I took.:eek:hmy: Ooop, guess this was supposed to be at what moment? Well, for me it's all day, even when I'm sleeping I'm still living them, dread having to get out of bed when they're so much worse.:robin:
  11. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I don't exactly have OCD that bad but the worst that I do is I absolutely have to apply lotion to my hands WAY too much. sometimes every 10 minutes. I want stuff to be clean but I'm never motivated enough to actually clean it as much as I would like so it drives me nuts. I have to have things in a specific order most of the time (mainly my videogames and DVDs) or I go crazy. There's certain other things that I have to have in order too. I also have to touch things when I walk past (not people of course...that would be awkward and creepy)
  12. pinkpetals33

thanks, I didn't want to keep listing them as it started to look just " too much-ism" that or someone will recognize me /us :unsure:

I have to admit there is a refreshing feeling when the ritual is completed! I've never talked much about these "OCD" behaviors other than what my sis notices. I have yet to discuss with my new psych....even then I am reluctant....

Kankuro, what happend if you don't get to touch things when you walk past it? Instead, I have to skip certain lines on the ground or I go back over it again. I feel jagged and twisted if I don't get it just right....
  13. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Can you please tell me how you get to sit on toilet seats ...I'm getting to old (bung knees ) to hover anymore....but I can't bear the thought of sitting in someone elses wee :unsure::blink:
  14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't usually have OCD.

But when I'm unwell it comes back.

Usually it's to do with keeping things clean/tidy but I have to say, nothing really is ever that clean and tidy 'round here- consistently, it's okay but it could be better and I have lists of things I need to do every single day but I usually end up doing one of them and doing what I like for the rest. It's more the wish (and obsessive thoughts) of everything being sparkling/ordered, but as long as the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom are swept, clean and there's food in the fridge, the clutter I make every day is livable. I try and get it over with at the beginning of the day if I'm up, if not then at night.

Checking electric points drive me nuts- that one is usually a problem when I need to get to a place at a certain time and I'm in and out my door 5 times checking everything is off.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  15. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I also do this, i dont have OCD but i get really paranoid about fires caused by electricity faults.
    I also have to check all rooms before i go bed to make sure no one is in them that shouldnt be.
  16. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to be the little detective when I was a child at my parents'. I'd do all the investigating and locking of doors (sometimes with a torch) before bed. :D
  17. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I have problems when I'm over at a friend's place and their room(s) are cluttered/dirty or disorganized. -__-
    I just want them to leave me alone with their stuff for a couple of days so I can CLEAN AND ORGANIZE it for them; and THROW OUT all of the shit they don't need!

ALSO- I have problems with numbers... counting things. All the time. And I can't concentrate on written numbers and letters unless I block out everything going on around me and focus on them one at a time.
    Not sure if that's part of my OCD or Dyslexia. could be either, I guess?

I think both are at their worst when placed in a messy room.
    *any* messy room.
  18. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Feel free to be boo's official housekeeper. Uniform is required on the job. I want you to take the broom and sweep the yard work! :hamster:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  19. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... as long as you're going to provide the maid outfit- since I don't own one *yet*.
    I do have this one and this one though! Would either be acceptable? XD
  20. boo

boo Well-Known Member

T.T the sailor schoolgirl one is fine.... I would have to check your I.D to make sure you won't get boo in troubles... :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.