Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer...

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Huw, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

For a number of years I was asked a question that I found difficult to understand. The question arose when I mentioned that I don’t own a TV. It would then be suggested that I listen to the radio. The fact I don’t own a radio or any type of music system would usually cause a frown. People would then nod and tell me that I must read a lot. I’d reply that I detest fiction and unless I need information or guidance I don’t open a book. Finally I’d be asked well what do you do? That was the question that stumped me, because I couldn’t understand what I was being asked. I was truly baffled by this.

That was until I was asked what do I do to relax? The answer was simple. I am relaxed. I don’t do anything or go anywhere to relax. I am relaxed.

A year or so later a client asked me well what do you do to unwind? I answered immediately that I don’t get wound up.

This might seem strange, but I never rush. I’m always in the mental state of peace which in and of itself is a state of rest. When confronted with the every day occurrences that would generally wind a person up. I refuse to be affected and let it pass. This took years of discipline as I was a natural fly off the handle person.

Nobody said that life was going to be easy or straightforward or even fun and exciting. What they should have told us is that life would be challenging and that we would be faced with many and varied disappointments. I’m often reminded of Shakespeare dealing with these issues in Hamlet:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them?

Those last two lines are the daily decisions we must make. Arm and fight or disarm and flight? Old WS had it right when he asked if it was “nobler in the mind” and as we are all aware our battles are all in the mind…