Which are the best meds for Bi-Polar?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shogun, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder and the useless doctor she's with offered her a choice of 3 different medications to take and told her to research and decide which ones she wants to take.

The meds are:

Sodium Valproate

Obviously being a female she's worried about weight gain and all 3 have weight gain as a side effect.

What I wanna know is, is there a medication type among those 3 that offers less weight gain than the others and which of those 3 has the best reputation?

In other words, which of those is the best to take?
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

To be honest, I don't know if any of us can answer that question, because one person's experience may not be the same as another's. The side effects can be different from person to person, and so can the results. I think the most we could give you here are our opinions, but it should really be up to her doctor which one she takes.
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Exactly what WildCherry said.

Some people take various different cocktails of meds until they find a good balance, this can take years.
    The best thing she can do is pick one and see how she goes, and if it's not working, change it 8 - 12 months down the line and try another.

The weight gain aspect with mediciation can be a nightmare definitely, but one thing her Doctor should've mentioned (if you're in the UK) is some gyms have a Wellness clinic, which means people suffering from mental health issues can 'sometimes' get cheaper gym membership.
    I started at the gym recently and it hurt at first but I'm feeling better everyday, it's amazing what a good work out can do for a person.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.