Which comes first?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Khvde, May 19, 2016.

1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Do you start to think negative and then have a bad mood OR
    do you have a bad mood and then start to think negative?

I hope I was clear with my question.

Flying Fox likes this.
  2. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Your question was clear :).

For me it almost always starts with negative thoughts which proceeds to a downward spiral. I can think myself into a depressive slump or an angry fit when I think of certain things.

Khvde likes this.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

starts with negative emotions sadness then i spiral even more into darkness

Khvde likes this.
  4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

That's a good question, I've wondered that my self. Personally, I don't really know the answer. They seem to be part of each other or so closely related that I'm not sure what comes first(at least for me) We're dealing with two things here.....thoughts and feelings......sometimes I feel down and then I start to worry about the cause of the feeling......other times I'm worried about something and this makes me feel down. Maybe the answer is .....both :)
    Sorry I wasn't more help or if I confused you my friend.
    Brian

Khvde likes this.
  5. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

For me, I feel bad then I can only produce negative thoughts so I start to feel even worse.

Flying Fox and Brian777 like this.
  6. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

For me, I feel bad then I can only produce negative thoughts so I start to feel even worse.

Yes it's a cycle, at least that's how I feel. It is however easier for me to change thoughts than feelings.

Khvde likes this.
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell. Usually I get a bad idea in my head, and that multiplies until I am in a really bad place.

Brian777 and Khvde like this.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Wow a good question but its like the chicken or the egg came first debate haha

Kate123 likes this.
  9. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

They're interchangeable for me, but it's usually the latter. I'm generally in a bad mood, whether it was caused by a negative thought or not.