Which is worse? To have loved and lost or To never have loved at all?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

To have loved and lost or To never have loved at all? Which is worse?

This is the question many men and women ask themselves after a relationship has ended and even sometimes before one begins. So really, is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved?

When it comes to matter of the heart people are myopic in their pursuit of happiness, whether it is love, money, or success in life.
    Once you are introduced to something new (love) it is hard to return to your old (love less) life.

Well, imho i rather never have loved at all. It changed my life for the worse. meh!

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Even with "the lost", the good times were so incerdible that it was well worth it. It hurts terribly, and I also feel bad that I hurt a few...but like I said I'd rather have loved and lost!

3. dropkick murphy

dropkick murphy Active Member

that is a question i ask myself everyday, if you havent loved you dont know the feeling, but if you have and lost you know the feeling but wish you hadnt!

as the song by del amitri goes "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, but if you sit down and count the cost of all those losses, theres no profit at all"

4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I do believe that ignorance literally is bliss, but I also think that any time I've loved, even when I've been hurt very badly, I've learned so much from the experience that I can't really regret it. So despite the pain and the lingering self-loathing, etc, etc, I do think it's better to have loved and lost. But then, if you've never loved, you'll never know. Hmm... tough call. Not a clue.

Mim

5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I agree with Mim.

Ignorance is bliss. Perhaps it's lonely, but you can't miss what you never had.
    It would have been much better to never have loved at all than to be stuck with this unbearable pain forever. << quite opposite to that stupid saying that I disagree with so much... -___-

6. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

id rather never loved at all :(

7. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I'd rather have loved and lost. Even though love can be pure torture, i can't live without love. It would just be another kind of pain in place.

8. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

From the perspective of someone who has never really had any deep emotional connection with a female of their same age, I'm not exactly sure. I don't really know what love is.

9. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

To never love at all would be worse for me.
    At least when you was loved, you had good times.
    If never loved, you would have no memories or good times.
    Even when it comes to a crash, you learn something.

10. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the answer is because when you are loved it does feed your self esteem and confidence...while it lasts..but then there's the pain when it doesn't last..

11. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

totally agree

12. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Honestly, the pain upon losing someone you had loved is almost unbearable at times.
    But to have never seen the beauty of one of the greatest things this world has to offer would be even worse I think.
    I don't really get out there much anymore, but I had someone that truly made me feel great once.
    Just knowing that I can feel that and that there's a chance I may experience it again, and maybe more, is something I try to look forward to.

13. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

not sure...havent loved yet to compare it :D
    i would say..maybe yes?

14. WorldBurns2Death

WorldBurns2Death Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to sad folk listening to Joy Division

15. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I think it would be worse to not have loved at all.

16. WorldBurns2Death

WorldBurns2Death Well-Known Member

I agree

17. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I would have rathter never loved at all because you can't miss what you don't know. And after being loved you miss that in my opinion.

However, it's not something I worry to much about because I don't think that I'll be loveless in life.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I can go through life hating and being hated. Not caring and not being cared about. The sadness comes in realising that life doesn't have to be this way.

19. Tealc

Tealc Banned Member

to live you need to have loved, even yourself.

to love someone, to feel those emotions and find joy in someone telling you ' i love you ' is awesome.
    to have loved and lost, while it can be painfull, is still better than having never loved or felt loved at all.
    been there and done it all, but i would never change any one of them, except maybe the ex wife lol

20. stig

stig Well-Known Member

i would rather to have never loved at all. the pain of losing someone is dreadfull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.