Which of the following represents the greatest, current threat to our kind?

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by boo, Nov 1, 2010.

?

the greatest, current threat to our kind?

1. Anthropological Climate Change?

9.4%
  2. Over Population?

9.4%
  3. U.S. Foreign Policy?

3.1%
  4. Religious Fundamentalism?

6.3%
  5. Nuclear war?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lady GaGa?

6.3%
  7. Oprah elected as president?

3.1%
  8. Natural resources depletion?

12.5%
  9. Nano bots?

3.1%
  10. Others (please specify)

46.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Which of the following represents the greatest, current threat to the survival of our species?

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I voted other, and will say the human race is it's own biggest threat.

3. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

others... Boo on the loose (never let him out of his cage!)

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't believe any of those options could lead to the death of the species. We're infinitely adaptable and basically innumerable. Severe, severe climate change could destroy our agricultural way of life, though. But thanks to natural adaptations for the extremely hot, technological adaptations for the extremely cold, and methods of transportation anywhere on earth we can basically survive in some numbers somewhere.

However, I have a plan for destroying humanity.

Apocalypse plan - possible trigger

It requires the Mad Cow Disease and Kuru prions. Basically, you isolate a DNA sequence that will produce those prions. Then, you insert it into viruses that infect humans - harmless ones, no more dangerous than the common cold. There are thousands of this sort of virus, which have the property of spreading extremely rapidly, and you're going to modify all that you can find. Then, you spread these modified cold viruses all across the world, maybe 100 per year, dropping off samples at airports all over the place. The prions will begin infecting those who catch any of those colds, but there will be no signs that anything is wrong for decades. Every year you release about 100 of these viruses and between them all they'll infect 99.999% of the population every year. Do this every year until the prion takes you. Everyone on the planet will be infected with one or both of the ALWAYS lethal prion diseases by that point. And then, slowly... we all die.

5. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

greedy and selfish people

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

How come no "all of the above" choice? That would be mine, aside from the nano-bots, which looks so interesting and fantastic that it might do some good, eh? I'm assuming that you included that one because of the possibility that it gets out of hand or is used for the wrong purposes (won't go into details at this time as it's very complex)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  7. dartofabaris

dartofabaris Well-Known Member

..we lie in parallel agreement here..

8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

plastic surgery, for sure! Soon enough, everyone will look like Angelina Jolie- she won't be considered gorgeous anymore because everyone looks like her- and then no one will have the desire to procreate anymore.

end of story.

Either that or the Zombie Apocalypse.

9. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

i would say religious fundamentalism and would add zombie hordes...if religious nuts dont get us it will be the zombie hordes that chew our brains...

10. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Disease is the biggest threat to us i think, a new strain of a current disease/virus could desimate us.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Outside of the crazy gene splicing prion-spreading virus scenario I put in there, diseases tend to balance between killing and spreading efficiency, achieving either one or the other but never both... A few, like a proper plague, optimise it quite well, but they still can't attain 100% kill rate due to random chance and genetic resistance. It could probably kill 90% of us if the conditions were just right, but 10% can resettle the planet within a few generations if they get their bone on with due righteousness. I don't think disease could do us in. Outside of the crazy gene splicing idea.

12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Oprah elected as president.

Last thing we need is her screaming AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! All over the TV...it was like she was trying to bite my face off when she said that...:unsure:

13. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I dont know about the world but i could be the greatest threat to this thread!!! I could desstabilize the poll in this thread, end all negotiations for apple pie and have commit mass genocide to all the hamsters, not that i have a napoleon complex at all :lol!:

14. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

oops i put in the wrong one :laugh:

15. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

Thats pretty much what I have to say so I agree 100%

16. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

No asteroid option?.. Considering it is pretty much inevitable in the long run unless we have colonized another planet or Bruce Willis is still alive to save us by the time the big one comes around. :eek:hmy:

Oh wait sorry, current threat. >< Erm?.. Would have to go with nuclear war then. Too many agro countries out there. :/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  17. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:hysterical::yeah::aussie:

18. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

the current threat is humans themselves their hatred of each other their inablility to show compassion and care for their own

19. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I voted other, we are our own worst enemy.

20. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Lady Gaga... i am very much convinced that she will be what causes the Zombie apocolypse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.