Who am I? / Who are you?

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've been trying to work this out.
I'm defining myself by stuff that is completely external. And if I ask myself who I am, urmmmm, I don't really know. I can tell you some things about me, but, again it's external. Like why I care so much if I'd get a diagnosis, because I'd see it as defining me, which it wouldn't in reality, but being that I don't know how to define myself, I guess it makes sense that I'd see it that way. So like, who am I?

Who are you?
If someone asks you who you are (not what you do or look like) how would you answer?

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
If someone asked me who I am it would depend on their context to what I would answer I guess. I am a different person to work folks than I am to SF folks. I am a different person to my friends than I am to random strangers or professional contacts. I am a different person to the people I love than to the people who I feel neutral about.

I think that defining who you are is a difficult thing to do. Especially when everyone else thinks you are this person or that person. Why not start with defining some values for yourself. Things you believe. Things you want to live your life by and shape your "youness" around?

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You're so not gonna have time to reply to this, but...
If someone asked me who I am it would depend on their context to what I would answer I guess. I am a different person to work folks than I am to SF folks. I am a different person to my friends than I am to random strangers or professional contacts. I am a different person to the people I love than to the people who I feel neutral about.
You ACT differently, YOU are the same person.....
Unless you're going to say that your actions define you - which they don't (and mostly I know that but I still often struggle with applying it to some actions).

Why not start with defining some values for yourself. Things you believe. Things you want to live your life by and shape your "youness" around?
I love this.
I began writing out what I value and why. They aren't what I value in the world, more character traits. I'm not sure how to choose other things to value. I think beliefs will be similar, but will do that.
And things you want to live your life by - you mean what you want to do in the world?

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Reading them... The wiki how is helpful, haven't yet read the rest, and want to go journal some of this through first.
Inno, this is a great question. I know who I am when I am with myself. I know my believes and values. With others, there is some shifting going on and it’s harder to define who I am, because the energy of others tends to consume me. But also then, I still am who I am. But I like myself better when quite and alone.
That's what I mean. That others aren't meant to define you, but, I don't know..... I hear how it's easier alone.
It is really healthy to ask yourself this question and It takes time to find out who you really are. I'm still searching for myself.
Thanks!!! Good luck....

full

SF Supporter
This question stopped in my tracks quite a few times when thinking of killing myself. Who would I be killing. Would it be the end. Am I realy all this pain, memories, and everything external, and even intrnal but still external since I am able to view emotions, thoughts and attitudes within. So who am I? Mystery :)

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm sending myself round and round in circles. Been journaling today (and still under the weather).
I think gonna make a mindmap now.
But it's not really a circle, it's more like a spiral, that I'm going in circles but getting somewhere although feels like nowhere.

I don't believe I can exist on my own. I don't believe I have the 'right' to have an identity. Because I believe that the only way I can justify my existence is if it's about others. I know that makes no sense at all. For everyone, including me, deserve to exist and deserve to be. But then I get to - who is this I that deserves to exist, and who am I to deserve to exist, how can I deserve to be here for myself.

Well, at least I know somewhat now what lies behind it.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I am a fat, old lady with very limited resources. I am a person who loves reading BOOKS (you know, those paper things) and would prefer a life with less technology. I take pride in being able to care for myself and my home, even though both home and self are looking a bit ragged these days. And when I care about someone, beware, because I really, really, really care.
Best I can do in a couple minutes.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I've been trying to work this out.
I'm defining myself by stuff that is completely external. And if I ask myself who I am, urmmmm, I don't really know. I can tell you some things about me, but, again it's external. Like why I care so much if I'd get a diagnosis, because I'd see it as defining me, which it wouldn't in reality, but being that I don't know how to define myself, I guess it makes sense that I'd see it that way. So like, who am I?

Who are you?
If someone asks you who you are (not what you do or look like) how would you answer?
This is the stuff I learn the hard way eg. Drinking until I end up in ICU. There’s nothing like pancreatitic necrosis to strip you of who you *think* you are. It’s still very much a work-in-progress, so I might be able to answer when I’m on my death bed ;)

As for justifying your existence.. Kierkegaard, Sartre, Nietzsche, Camus are your guys. Dostoevsky seems highly recommended *mental note*. Here is some light reading :confused::rolleyes::p

http://fuckyeahexistentialism.tumblr.com/literature

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I have no idea who I am. I can tell you things about me, like I am 49, married with 2 kids... I can tell you things I am interested in or things that make me sad, politics, equality, homelessness... But does that stuff define me? I don't know.
Most things I don't know how I feel about. I tend to define myself by how others see me so I don't feel that I deserve an opinion, or that my opinion would be wrong. And because I haven't achieved anything with my life and have no idea of what I want to achieve anyway I don't have a purpose which is the underlying point of who we are.

I think that defining who you are is a difficult thing to do. Especially when everyone else thinks you are this person or that person. Why not start with defining some values for yourself. Things you believe. Things you want to live your life by and shape your "youness" around?
I am just reading this post Freya - (and thank you @Innocent Forever for starting it .. ) I haven't read other responses yet but yours caught my attention. We are a different person to various people but that is our fault - surely - we portray what we believe folk want to see - what folk can cope with even (family) - what we think other need or want at the time. Why can't we just be ourselves, however painful, to everyone? Just a question ?

I'm sending myself round and round in circles. Been journaling today (and still under the weather).
I think gonna make a mindmap now.
But it's not really a circle, it's more like a spiral, that I'm going in circles but getting somewhere although feels like nowhere.

I don't believe I can exist on my own. I don't believe I have the 'right' to have an identity. Because I believe that the only way I can justify my existence is if it's about others. I know that makes no sense at all. For everyone, including me, deserve to exist and deserve to be. But then I get to - who is this I that deserves to exist, and who am I to deserve to exist, how can I deserve to be here for myself.

Well, at least I know somewhat now what lies behind it.
But can we exist alone Inno - I don't think I can answer the question - who am !

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00